Scary Abandoned House between Tuckerton and New Gretna

petestemmer

Feb 22, 2008
Scary House

Here is a photo of Isaac Lewis and Martha (Mattie) Berry, builders and owners of the house.

Interested in Bass River-New Gretna history? Take a look at our Bass River History web site at . . .

http://bassriver-nj.org/history/index.php

Attachments

• Isaac-Martha Berry2- 72 dpi.jpg
    Isaac-Martha Berry2- 72 dpi.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 864
Oct 25, 2006
The house was built in the late 1880's by Isaac Lewis and Martha (Mattie) Berry. The last person to live there was Robert Quinn, the greatgrandson of Lewis and Mattie. Robert, better known as Bobby, was the Superintendent of Greenwood Cemetery in Tuckerton for many years. He passed away a few years ago.

This photo of the Berry house was taken circa 1940s.

Thanks for the info, welcome to the site.

Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The house was built in the late 1880's by Isaac Lewis and Martha (Mattie) Berry. The last person to live there was Robert Quinn, the greatgrandson of Lewis and Mattie. Robert, better known as Bobby, was the Superintendent of Greenwood Cemetery in Tuckerton for many years. He passed away a few years ago.

This photo of the Berry house was taken circa 1940s.

It looks quite nice in that photo. It is a shame the words "ransacked" and "scary" are how one can describe it now.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Yeah, it does look good in that photo. I pulled up to it one night just to freak out my wife. It worked. I would say it is creepy. It is interesting that it is that old. I had no idea.

That web site is very nice (the bass river link) I especially like the outhouse photo gallery.

Jeff

Harriet D. (Hattie) Chew
1857 - 1902 Salem, NJ USA
From what I can gather Harriet D. (Hattie) Chew died under mysterious conditions at her home on RT 9 and her apparition can be seen from time to time at her old abandoned house. legend has it her ghost can be seen like clock work on the anniversary of her death. That's why the house is Spooky! Its a real Haunted House. I hope this helps a little.
P.S.
I always wanted to gather a group together to see if the legend is true but I cannot find out the actual date of her death.

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
As far as finding the date of death, you can check the newspapers at the ocean county historical society, or you can go to the county surrogate's office and check the probate records. If she died in the county, it should be on file.

Just some thoughts

Medictrode

Mar 23, 2008
Hello all.I stumbled upon this site from reading the forums on the Geocaching site,its really nice to have all this history here,great forums..Anyway,I figured I would chime in on this house.The last person to live there,whom was stated before was in a nursing home in Manahawkin years back.I stumbled upon this person during a routine call,and we got to talking.Anyway,he was already in contact with a friend who is a local in New Gretna.The Guy allowed him permission to take whatever was left in the house,because he knew the house was being vandalized(It was heart breaking for the poor old guy)..So this guy who I know got whatever was left,and most of it was hidden.There was antique toys,dishes and whatever else in there.Some of it he kept,some went to a antique guy in Galloway who paid top dollar.A very Generous man he was for allowing someone to go into his home and do this.I also believe his wife was in the same nursing home,and died there before he did.From what he said,and what is said here this house was handed down generation to generation,very interesting.Life goes on I guess...:siren:

tenfiftyfour

Mar 24, 2008
Toms River
I found this house for myself a few years ago and went inside. Same as everyone else has described, totally ransacked - papers and such everywhere, and canned goods still in the kitchen. Did anyone happen to notice the old car rusting into the ground in the woods off of the south side of the house? I couldn't tell what it was, seemed like a 30s or 40s model.

I know this is an old thread, but thanks to everyone who provided the photos and history of the house.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Hello all.I stumbled upon this site from reading the forums on the Geocaching site,its really nice to have all this history here,great forums..Anyway,I figured I would chime in on this house.The last person to live there,whom was stated before was in a nursing home in Manahawkin years back.I stumbled upon this person during a routine call,and we got to talking.Anyway,he was already in contact with a friend who is a local in New Gretna.The Guy allowed him permission to take whatever was left in the house,because he knew the house was being vandalized(It was heart breaking for the poor old guy)..So this guy who I know got whatever was left,and most of it was hidden.There was antique toys,dishes and whatever else in there.Some of it he kept,some went to a antique guy in Galloway who paid top dollar.A very Generous man he was for allowing someone to go into his home and do this.I also believe his wife was in the same nursing home,and died there before he did.From what he said,and what is said here this house was handed down generation to generation,very interesting.Life goes on I guess...:siren:

Thanks for providing us with this information. It is always nice when someone chimes in with first hand (or second hand) information.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Another old house bites the dust. Thanks for the update.

Guy

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
stupid vandal kids , theres a good chance wierd nj got ahold of that place , there was a really cool old house near batsto that kids burned down like 2 years ago , that house was there as long as i could remember , its really sad seeing those old places go

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
wow........ that is horrible. I just read all of this post back to 2004, It definitely seemed that this house had a cool history,with alot to be determined yet.sadly I believe the abandoned house population will decease over time due to stupidity such as this. It appears that over the years ghost hunters/thrill seekers have dwindled down from this site, which is a good thing. However I'm sure there are other sites out there with people in charge that don't care to the extent that Bruce and others on here do. I think a good rule to go by as far as abandoned houses go, is to PM some of the members on this site which have proved themselves knowledgeable historians over there time. such as Jerseyman, Tee-Gate, Bruset, Woodjin, Jokerman, etc. Either way I still see the whole abandoned house population becoming extinct, but it could only take one sour post on here to cause a house of great historic value to disappear overnight.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
stupid vandal kids , theres a good chance wierd nj got ahold of that place , there was a really cool old house near batsto that kids burned down like 2 years ago , that house was there as long as i could remember , its really sad seeing those old places go

Agreed, Nick! It is like that old abandoned boys camp I showed you. Maybe a year before we were there all those buildings were pretty much intact. People suck!