Some more old PB photos scanned from color slides

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Great photos, Guy! I especially love the ones up in the trees. Famous old John Muir used to climb trees in blizzards to better experience the storm. I never saw guys riding the rails in jeeps like that before! Does the Jersey Central approve? And speaking of places that I found but never found again, I once came across some giant orchards on the Batona Trail.

I'll see if I can gather up the other old photos I've scattered around this place and put them all on this thread, plus post some new ones, but I only know how to do it thumbnail style, but I guess that's OK.

"I thought I was the only admitted clandestine camper on site." No way. Clandestine camping is best. I remember talking to a policeman in the Barrens once. He told me there had been a murder at the public camp ground the night before. Those places are trouble. I worked up at the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago. The first week I was there 3 tourists were killed, two by lighting while bike riding on the rim, and one - again - murdered in the public campground. They kept it quiet. A lot of people die at the Grand Canyon, mostly by falling. There's an interesting book all about it.

And as for you, Mister Rednek, no, we're not old at all. My age happens to be extremely young in geological terms. Why, compared with a bristle cone pine I'm practically a new born baby!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
but I only know how to do it thumbnail style, but I guess that's OK.

If you don't mind me taking your photo from the attachments I can put them in the posts. I would be uploading them to the webspace I have on this site so they will be still kept on the site. The only problem is that you would not be able to delete them in the future if you want to. I would have to do it.

Guy

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
If you don't mind me taking your photo from the attachments I can put them in the posts. I would be uploading them to the webspace I have on this site so they will be still kept on the site. The only problem is that you would not be able to delete them in the future if you want to. I would have to do it.

Guy

Maybe I should leave them the way they are, if that's OK with you, Guy. You might have noticed that I've deleted some pictures already. I'm ambivalent about posting recognizable photos of people online, especially without their permission.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe I should leave them the way they are, if that's OK with you, Guy. You might have noticed that I've deleted some pictures already. I'm ambivalent about posting recognizable photos of people online, especially without their permission.

Thats fine.

Guy

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
"I never saw guys riding the rails in jeeps like that before!"

No old bo's here to correct my misuse of the term "riding the rails"?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Jumping back into the thread late. The other Quaker Bridge is up by me in Princeton. It crosses over the D&R Canal by Port Mercer:

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=40.30486174978813&lng=-74.6845006942749&z=16&type=m&gpx=

There's a Quaker meetinghouse up the road, right before the Princeton Battlefield. I'm guessing the bridge came about so that folks could get to the meetings.

I'm also fairly sure that Beck wrote about the area in The Jersey Midlands, or he mentioned it in the chapter of (More) Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey about the old Monmouth Road.