The NEW Beer Thread

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Also good: Midas Touch. There's some horseshit on the label about it having been genetically recreated using the bottom barrel swill found in ancient Egyptian beer tanks...

That's no horseshit, Clerk. There's no better world than that wherein beer meets archaeology. But yes, two good beers there.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
http://www.capemaybrewery.com/WelcomeAbout.html

beerphoto.gif

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I beg to differ, Ben. The beer is good when its aged and paired with fitting food. You'll catch on.

I suppose, although we live in a world where there's a plethora of excellent beer that can stand on it's own.

Today I was picking up some wine for a thing I am going to tomorrow and wandered around the craft beer section. It's getting pretty bewildering trying to find what sort of stuff I'd like to try. Almost picked up an Orval but didn't feel like spending $5/bottle for it.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Tonight I'm trying a beer I have been meaning to try brewed by the Russian River Brewing Company. Pliny the Elder is what I will be sharing with friends. I avoided reading about it in Beer Advocate just so I can judge it on my own. As an additional treat I believe another surprise might be in hand. Maybe a Bell's Hopslam Ale? I never had it and I thought it was seasonal. Clams and sausage on the grill, tall glasses of beer. It's a good evening. Good friends, good food and good beer means a good night. Cheers!
The suprise in the bag was High West Rocky Mountain Rye 21 Year Old Whiskey!

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Canal's now has all the pumpkin ales out in force and they sell out before october usually. Anybody know which ones are worth the price. Shipyard is good as I recall last fall, easy drinking. Gabe mentioned a good one last year what was that?

Money is always the barrier for me purchasing the craft beers from all over. Labor Day Weekend however I will go nuts and drop some dough for the good stuff. So many choices.... On my mind is Lagunitas IPA, Long Trail, Great Divide, SlyFox, and Flying Dog. To keep the party going you throw some PBR and High life in there so you dont run out when all your cousins are trying to steal your beer. You keep the good stuff in a different cooler. Annual Canoe trip moved to Sunday instead of labor day. if the weather is civil we will have a great day out there on the river.

Reactions: Bachman's Ivory

Bachman's Ivory

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
Hazlet, Monmouth County, NJ
Tonight I'm trying a beer I have been meaning to try brewed by the Russian River Brewing Company. Pliny the Elder is what I will be sharing with friends. I avoided reading about it in Beer Advocate just so I can judge it on my own. As an additional treat I believe another surprise might be in hand. Maybe a Bell's Hopslam Ale? I never had it and I thought it was seasonal. Clams and sausage on the grill, tall glasses of beer. It's a good evening. Good friends, good food and good beer means a good night. Cheers!
The suprise in the bag was High West Rocky Mountain Rye 21 Year Old Whiskey!
How was it? I've heard excellent things about Pliny the Elder.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The Pliny was a great IPA. Its has a piney/citrus scent to it and the taste is mild and crisp. It fades into a nice bitterness on your tongue. I have just started getting back into enjoying great beer again. Its probably been six years or so since I have indulged. My normal stock is Hacker-Pschorr Weisse and Tecate. I will tell you that the rye whiskey was worth the price that my buddy Drew paid. I think it was over a hundred and forty dollars for the bottle. It was odd for me to see an oily residue from it in the glass. I did was swirl back in. It is very smooth but did I get a headache from it this morning. I need to train harder I think.;)

Reactions: Bachman's Ivory

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Duff Beer: Yes, It Does Exist!

duff-150x199.jpg
If you’re in Mexico, Argentina, Colombia or Chile anytime soon, you can pick up a bottle of Duff, Homer Simpson’s lager of choice. Though the product is probably in violation of licensing agreements–or more specifically, being produced without one–it’s a hot seller in South American markets.
Fox has never licensed the beverage in the United States. According to several reports, Simpsons’ creator Matt Groening fears that bringing Duff into the real world would be tantamount to pushing

alcohol on minors.

http://www.neatorama.com/2011/05/29/duff-beer-yes-it-does-exist/

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Growlers come roaring back

When he has a hankering for a draft beer at home, McAleer pours himself a cold one from a growler, a refillable 64-ounce glass jug that he buys from Federal Jack's, a brewpub and restaurant in his hometown of Kennebunkport. If he's having friends over, he'll sometimes pick up two or three growlers filled with different types of beer so his guests can sample a variety.
Around the country, hundreds of brewpubs, breweries and even grocery stores are cashing in on the growing popularity of growlers, a term that dates back more than a century. when people would carry fresh beer in buckets.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...cle_261879ae-fedd-5df5-9660-a9fda2ff12fd.html

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
RUSH THE GROWLER
Years ago my grandmother, who was born in 1899, told me of this expression my family used to encourage someone to bring home beer from the local tavern. This would be in the beginning of the 1900's in Jersey City. I think they used a bucket.

rush the growler

To go get beer or other alcohol. Used chiefly in the coal region of northeast Pennsylvania. Derived from old coal mining days, when the miners would take a growler (a type of metal bucket) and put their lunch in it, and put their coffee in the bottom in a separate compartment. This was supposedly to keep the meal warm, but it probably didn't work too well. On the way home from work, the miner would "rush the growler" over to the local watering hole and fill it up with cans or bottles of beer to bring home. Hence, rush the growler.
To rush the growler (sometimes to roll the growler and other forms) was to take a container to the local bar to buy beer. The growler was the container, usually a tin can. Brander Matthews wrote about it in Harper’s Magazine in July 1893: “In New York a can brought in filled with beer at a bar-room is called a growler, and the act of sending this can from the private house to the public-house and back is called working the growler”. The job of rushing the growler was often given to children.