The NEW Beer Thread

cranbrake

Scout
Jun 3, 2009
Ok my humble two cents- would recommend any of these to anyone. No cheap brews here but you get what you pay for. If I can't get a quality beer than I just refrain from drinking. This may make me a 'beer snob' but I'm ok with that. LOL

Some top notch Stouts-
Schlafly Coffee stout, out of St. Louis
coffeestout.png

Flying Dog's "Pearl necklace" oyster stout( Yes, brewed with real oysters-I don't taste any hint of Oyster, which is fine to me- but proceeds apparently go to a Chesapeake bay Oyster restoration project)
Flying Dog Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout.jpg

Breckenridge Oatmeal stout, from Colorado....
Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout.jpg

Some fantastic pale ales-

Dominion Hop Mountain( their 'Oak barrel stout' is decent as well)
Dominion Hop Mountain.JPG

Sam Adams Rebel IPA- a limited edition; This is some of the best I've tasted which is shocking to me- I dislike many of their other beers and I actually poured out(!) their other pale ales after a few sips. Sorry for the small image.
index.jpg

Flying Dog 'Doggie Style' pale ale
flyingdog_doggiestylepaleale12oz__30748.1351631736.1280.1280.jpg

A great lager- Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager. To be honest I tried this one simply because the brew company's name- it's named after a mountain I've hiked in Shenandoah National Park. Was glad I tried it.

devils-backbone-vienna-lager-e1376960039801.jpg

And honorable mention- simply for the coolest name(I'm told it's great but I avoid brews of over ~7% alcohol) ....Flying Dog's "Raging Bitch" Belgian IPA, (8.3%)

Raging-Bitch.jpg

Attachments

• imagesbnjmk.jpg
    imagesbnjmk.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 340

cranbrake

Scout
Jun 3, 2009
..........And two more-
New Belgium's "Accumulation" seasonal white ale. Super smooth.
indexbnm.jpg

And 21st Amendments' "Bitter American" 'session ale'. This beer is maybe the most 'drinkable' of all- so smooth that before you know it you've had a few in the time you'd drink one bottled beer, Lol. This brew co. sells only in cans- helps prevent skunkage due to light penetration.

photofgh.jpg

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
The importance of a good education.
Chemical engineer .jpg

THIS A QUOTE FROM HAROLD:

"I've often been asked, 'What do you do now that you're retired?'

Well...I'm fortunate to have a chemical engineering background and
one of the things I enjoy most is converting beer, wine and whiskey
into urine. It's rewarding, uplifting, satisfying and fulfilling. I do it every
day and I really enjoy it."

Harold is an inspiration to us all.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Over a month with no action here... got my hands on a few of these (Heady Topper) while in PA last week. A buddy from VT helped me out. Apparently its the #1 beer in the world right now. I certainly thought so.
paddle.jpg

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
image.jpg

Had this ale the other day, very good. It's a limited release and had no price on it and I thought the register rang it up wrong... $17.99 for one 12.7 oz bottle. Only live once right? It was great but I won't be making that purchase again.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Quite a bit going on in this video. At any point this could be at least one of the members of this website :D

I give you "Ode to cold beer"

Reactions: noboat

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
philly week 002.jpg
philly week 004.jpg
philly week 001.jpg
philly week 003.jpg
Was recently at Philly Beer Week. Got to try some of the world's top beers and man was it worth the short trip. I think beer advocate has the best rating system and its the one I see most widely used at retail stores to rate their shelf beer.

The first pic is KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) and is #6 in the world on the BA list. Its Founder's Breakfast Stout aged in bourbon barrels. The breakfast stout has a great mocha, coffee, and raosted malts taste. Add the bourbon barrel and you get some dam fine whiskey and oak coming through. Limited release in late winter, hard to find. I did see that Brick Wall in Asbury Park will have this on tap on July 17 and will probably last only a couple hours, as the bar I was out ran out in an hour after I waited on line for an hour.

Second shot is Lost Abbey's Duck Duck Gooze (in wine glass). This was my favorite of my trip and definatley a "white whale" for me, or an extremely hard to find and sought after ale. Had to wait on line to get in and this wild ale is only released every 3 years due to the way it is aged. A mix of wild ales aged in Chardonnay barrels. It was a party in my mouth and probably a once in a lifetime taste. # 19 on the BA list.

The Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout is #2 according to BA. Its an amazing coffee stout aged in bourbon barrels and has a limited release each year in the Fall that most stores do not see.

Pliny the Elder is a Double IPA from Russian River in Cali and is #4 on the BA list. Lots of tropical fruits, citrus, and flora coming off the hops in this one. Just a great hop-forward, juicy IIPA.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Wow, 5 months of dead air for this noble thread.
Well, here's a dandy of an ale: Firestone Walker Wookey Jack, a black rye IPA at 8.3% ABV.
The mallard tried some a few minutes before and went into his dead mount pose.

emoo125

I recently tried Pinelands Brewing Company's pumpkin beer on a recent trip home for Thanksgiving. It was quite good, and stronger than I expected! I've heard good things about their Pitch Pine Ale as well, but haven't tried it yet. Has anyone else?

My husband and I brew our own up here in Boston, so I'm glad to find a beer thread here!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I like the book :D

Translation

I was trying this beer from the Polish Bamber * * tonight. Speak forth with tasty!