Tuesday with Alfie

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Looks as if the journey to the Emerald City consisted of more than a yellow brick road. But hey--these guys are tough!

That first photo is worth framing. Brushed platinum might do it justice. Lovely.

Glo

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
IMG_8818.jpg

All hail the Panorama Kid!

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1078-1.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I really enjoyed the sixth picture. I'm fascinated by the remains of old buildings. When I see them, I always wonder how life was when they were vibrant and full of daily routine. Good stuff!:)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Last two photos are interesting. I see the mantis. Is that a pine he's hunkered down in? I know its fairly low as I can see Panicum grass.

The last photo is just flat out good. Great perspective.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Bob
That fiels is regrowing with Virginia Pine and Shrotleaf Pine.In the pic the needles appear to be in bundles of three so it would be shortleaf.For me virginia pine is always easy to tell from the other pines because they have short,twisted dark green needles in bundles of two and the bark is very smooth for pines and they keep their dead limbs forever so that there is no end of dry firewood above ground in a virginia pine grove but shortleaf and pitch pine look quite similar except that shortleaf has a more regular profile as it grows and doesn't have the twisted,tortured look of a grizzled pitch pine pointing accusingly at the sky.Also I have never seen shortleaf sprout from the trunk as pitch pine does after being burnt and shortleaf and virginia pine are known for colonizing disturbed ground which this field is.I was wondering what type of grass that is.It has a beautiful purple sheen to it.This field at one end by the house Bill shot in the spring time is carpeted with beautiful pink minature roses.They are gone wild now but are still obviously cultivated roses.This is a very neat area you would no doubt enjoy but a bit small for a full fledged pbx hike.I think you stopped in this area on the way back from our Bear swamp hike didn't you?
Al

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This is a very neat area you would no doubt enjoy but a bit small for a full fledged pbx hike.I think you stopped in this area on the way back from our Bear swamp hike didn't you?
Al

Oh yeah, now I remember. The field down the road from the old farmhouse, and the land on the left has big dips and swales.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
so you did make it to the farmhouse! the dips and swale are the remains of an old gravel operation in there.The country north of there is all chasms and valleys and pit now thouroughly wooded due to old gravel operations and if you went past the farmhouse another 3 minute walk you would have came out on top oof the bluffs overlooking the maurice river.the bluffs approach both sides of the river and bends where the river cuts them from port elizabeth north to union lake and beyond.In this area they are about 30 to 40 ft in height and have at least one artesian spring at the base of one issueing under pressure from a some time pipe jammed in the ground.Cold and good water it is.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
This collection has lovely soft colors: the moss, the meadows, the aged walls. I especially like the rosy hue of the grasses. Bob, I think you've answered my question -- Panicum grass, right?

It's a splendid view of that mantis, en camouflage, with Alfie working in the background. The steely insect stare is a trifle unnerving, especially after I watched this duel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNcIUIULafw.

Yes, that last shot is fantastic. I'm picturing the intrepid photographer half-way up another monster tree, leaning precariously forward to get just the right angle. Thanks, Whip, for whatever it took to make it happen!

Glo

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
if you went past the farmhouse another 3 minute walk you would have came out on top oof the bluffs overlooking the maurice river.the bluffs approach both sides of the river and bends where the river cuts them from port elizabeth north to union lake and beyond.

I did! It was quite unique for South Jersey. I loved it. If I recall correctly though, I heard the racetrack in the background. This was about 5 years ago I think.....right?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
This collection has lovely soft colors: the moss, the meadows, the aged walls. I especially like the rosy hue of the grasses. Bob, I think you've answered my question -- Panicum grass, right?

It's a splendid view of that mantis, en camouflage, with Alfie working in the background. The steely insect stare is a trifle unnerving, especially after I watched this duel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNcIUIULafw.

Yes, that last shot is fantastic. I'm picturing the intrepid photographer half-way up another monster tree, leaning precariously forward to get just the right angle. Thanks, Whip, for whatever it took to make it happen!

Glo
Whip was actually standing on the ground Glo.The mantis was about two ft off the ground,but he is still a hero:)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, I think you've answered my question -- Panicum grass, right?

I'm glad you asked. Yes, but I was off a bit. Made me research some more. I'm 99% sure I found the same thing on my way home in Whiting today. It is Leptoloma cognatum; Fall Witch Grass. It is right alongside Panicum in the key, the separation is that Panicum's fertile floret is hard, while this one's is leathery. It is interesting to note that the panicle breaks off in the wind and rolls around like a tumbleweed.

http://spuds.agron.ksu.edu/ksgrasskey/images/Leptolomacognatum.html

Reactions: glowordz

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They blow in the door at work all the time. Or at least they look like that.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes these seed heads do blow around like tumbleweeds.As a matter of fact when I stepped out of the field and onto the trail I had big clumps of the stuff wrapped around both ankles and had to kick it off.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
I fell in love with Sophie today. Alfie was along, but I don't like him so much anymore. The three of us spent a good chunk of our day at the Franklin Parker Preserve. I was pleasantly surprised! It's very nice there!

This'll be the first of a two-part post. Take us away, Sophie!

IMG_9073.jpg

IMG_9078.jpg

IMG_9094.jpg

IMG_9099.jpg

IMG_9109.jpg

IMG_9111.jpg

IMG_9113.jpg

IMG_9121.jpg

IMG_9124.jpg

IMG_9128.jpg

IMG_9133.jpg

All hail the Panorama Kid!