Where is this?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Does the Batona go across there? If so, I have a photo of it from years ago.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice photo Ed. Here is the bridge in the summer of 1978. My friend and I had my parents drop us off at Batsto and we hiked the Batona to Carranza Road where they picked us up later that day. The one photo below shows him cooking his lunch on a sterno stove. We spared no expense :)

10_78.jpg

BatonaHike78.jpg

Guy

Reactions: noboat

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I see he has a wine skin too for water...but he is inviting chiggers and ticks! :)

Anyone who uses them are crazy. One time while we were out there he noticed green ooze coming out of it. I am glad I never used it.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I never knew what a chigger was back then. We never got them and rarely got ticks. They have increased significantly in more recent years.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Here's one with me and my pretty girl Katie in 1994. WE were accompanying 6th and 7th graders on a pinelands study hike from Quaker Bridge to Batsto. If they hiked the entire trail they got a T shirt. Katie got to eat a lot of sandwiches that day.

Katie's Bridges.jpg

This is a fun thread, although I'm really, really bad at this game.

I need to find that WWI grave, I can't believe I've overlooked that at Atsion.

First one I actually recognized was Goodwater Bridge. It sticks out because of on the old "green" Batona Map, that section of trail out to Goodwater Bridge was shown to be a tiny little hiccup. The first time I walked it was as a Scout on some hot summer day. We all just walked to be done. And the further we walked away from the right direction to get over to that bridge, the madder we got. I'm sure it's not actually very far off of straight, but it seemed like 100 miles out of the way. Plus the trail dives off the road almost immediately without any real warning on the Batsto side of the bridge. GAH!

Every time I've walked it since, I get mad at the map all over again. Those old maps are still on the "take one" rack at Brendan Byrne's office.

From the last time I walked over that bridge. I've gotten really good at that turn now, haven't missed it in years :D
img_9003.jpg
]

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Not fair! Hey...I have not been giving the answers out, just letting you know if I know it or not.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think the reason we did not mention it right after the hike is because we had concerns it was private property. I suspect it is state but I am still not sure.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
This is a great idea for a thread! I for one am really enjoying it. Thanx.

This may be easy for some, but I'm curious if any one else has seen this.

Wall.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
What does it say? I can't believe someone would put that in the wall.