Why can't I lose this gut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
I saw that Tom. Very interesting part when they bit into that corn and it tasted like cardboard due to the hybrid selection the industry has done over the years--"industrial corn" is the term they used. Made me immediately think of sweet white corn, the opposite to what is now grown in the midwest. How about that ammonium nitrate use, up to 200 pounds per acre injected into the soil. I felt a part of our future dying with that documentary.

Yeah, it was a disturbing documentary...very sad.

Along the same lines as Super Size Me is a book called Fast Food Nation...disgustingly insightful.

Nov 27, 2007
Stockton College
drink tons and tons of water. i put down 4-5 liters a day. it's very easy if you keep a nalgene water bottle with you wherever you go. i've noticed great benefits since i've started drinking so much water.

also, don't skip meals. especially breakfast! i've found that 4 or 5 small meals a day is much better for you and will help you lose weight.

i agree with everyone else, absolutely no fast food! take the time to cook for yourself. buy fresh vegetables, make chicken stir frys, and exclude red meat from your diet. or at least lessen it. poultry and fish have the most nutrition and least fat. eat slowly. try meditating on your eating experience, concentrate on filling your body with nutrients and life force and not scarfing down food.

good luck!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Maybe we can have a recipes forum here. Camp recipes and just tasty healthy foods. Don't want unhealthy people wandering the pines.

Jay

I can make anything with fins or fur and a pair of eyeballs taste pretty good on the stove or on a smoker. (I am modest too) :)
Pinelandpaddler had some of the real roadkill jerky this year and he inhaled it. I did warn him that the crunchy stuff was turn signals.
I do all my own butchering with game and I buy large fresh pork hams and grind them myself to make our Italian and breakfast sausage.
I can control the fat content that way and the quality of the meat that goes into it.
When I am feeling ambitious I even grind lean London Broil into hamburger meat.

I lost almost 50 lbs 6 years ago by cutting out most saturated fats and walking 3 miles a day, every day, rain or shine.
After 6 years I put back 18 lbs and that is where I stay.
I don't have to eat like a girl (no offense women) as long as I continue to walk. I have always stayed physically active outside of routine walking too.

Fast food of any kind from any chain is crap.
Learn to cook basic stuff (meat or vegetables) with a little olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper and you will be much better off.

Nov 27, 2007
Stockton College
I'll try Subway. We also have a place called Quiznos, how are they?

quiznos sucks and they're way overpriced. subway's got a special going now, all the footlongs are $5 except cheese steak, pastrami, and a giant monster sub called the feast. those aren't dietary anyway :] i think that deal's going on for a couple months. try making your own food whenever you can.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Quiznos is terrible for you, there dressings/sauces and bacon laced sandwiches wouldnt be a good choice at all.

If your up for it ill post some vegetarian recipes for you, everything from Tofu Jerkey to Vegatarian Masala ( not to be confused with Marsala).

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
quiznos sucks and they're way overpriced. subway's got a special going now, all the footlongs are $5 except cheese steak, pastrami, and a giant monster sub called the feast. those aren't dietary anyway :] i think that deal's going on for a couple months. try making your own food whenever you can.

Quiznos is garbage in many ways. The Giant Monster "Feast" at Subway has Peter Griffin from Family Guy as a spokesman, not a good role model:D

Pick up "8 Weeks to Optimum Health" by Dr. Andrew Weil or one of his other books. To truly follow his plan is expensive and really tough. But just following some of his suggestions will make a difference in your life.

J_IGNACIO

Feb 29, 2008
I had many same problems. In Cuscatlan it is very popular to have soups with tripe and sweet cofee. Torta was my favorite and I had very large stomach! What worked for me was to have chicle to chew, it keeps the mouth busy and you wont be eat as much. Worked for me, anyway

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
So I gather Quiznos is just as bad as Wendys but more expensive!
Subway is kinda expensive compared to Wendy's too. I may just have to carry yet more stuff (food) around when I'm out.
Hikers seem to live by granola bars, maybe I'll get some of those.

Mar 10, 2008
I am not a fan of fruits and veggies
There's a large part of your problem. You absolutely cannot get healthy without ample fruits and veggies. Also don't do away with carbs. I think the no carb thing is one of the biggest dangers to public health since lead pipes. Our bodies use carbohydrates for fuel. No carbs = no fuel. You do, however, need to stay away from all processed sugars like high fructose corn syrup. If you need something sweet, drink some OJ, or eat a mango. If you're going to eat meat try to find a local butcher who buys non-GMO beef. Any kind of meat sold at a national chain will more than likely be some kind of mystery meat.
Also avoid trans-fats (partially hydrogenated oils). This one's a bit hard since they are in EVERYthing. almost.
For breakfast, I'd say skip the cereal (do you know what's in milk?) and go with a fruit smoothie or oatmeal.
Basically avoid processed sugar, trans fats, and eat a lot of fruits, veggies, and legumes (beans), and keep on exercising. That should get rid of the gut (technically it's your omentum, not your stomach that is enlarged).
Perhaps I'm constipated?
I'm sure your girlfriend Veronica can help you out with that.
fart.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.