Why can't I lose this gut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Interesting video. Fast food takes longer to break down. Look at what happens with the "french fried potatoes". The regular ones from a local resteruant broke down right away, yet after 8 weeks the McDonald's fries haven't broken down at all! It sure aint potato in those fries.:confused:

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
My guess is Longislandpiney is not walking fast enough to burn much of anything. We all walk leisurly while exploring the pines, not the kind of fast paced walk needed to burn calories. You have to make time to eat. Skipping meals throws the metabolism off and will do more harm then good. Make the time even if you have to get up earlier. Starches such as breads and cereals have to be measured. Use a measuring cup for 1 accurate cup of cereal for breakfast with skim milk or 1%. If you find vegetables bland, use spices and onions and garlic to flavor them up. nonfat or low fat yogurt is also good. I lost 100lbs, but it took me 3 years because I went on and off my own program. But I know how it works!

I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this. Walking is probably the BEST cardio activity. Anything that gets your heart rate up in the fat-burning zone will help you to burn calories. You cannot reduce fat from certain body parts, your metabolism just does not work that way. You can do crunches and get great ab muscles, but that will not cause you to lose fat in that area alone so you may not see the results unless you lose weight in general. Cardio-type activities are the best all-over weight loss exercise. I think you probably need to make relatively small changes in your food choices to get results, LIP, since you do so much walking already.

:ham: <--- Cool! A new food-related smiley!

And just so you know, LIP, fried rice contains a staggering amount of fat, even though you wouldn't think so. If you cook more and eat out less, you will know what goes into your food.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
That video is interesting. I have some issues with how the experiment is designed, but it does demonstrate that there are apparently preservatives in the fries that don't break down quickly.

LIP, it's much cheaper to pack your own food and bring some with you on your hikes. Bring some lean turkey breast, cheese, peanut butter, or you can even make your own trail mix. Bananas, oranges and apples too.

Enoch

Scout
Apr 15, 2007
Camden County, NJ
Everyone says to avoid fast food. So I'm curious here to what places everyone here eats!

:eng101:If you want to live well and be happy, learn how to cook for yourself. It takes a little trial and error, but you'll never regret it.

If you like hamburgers, buy a meat grinder and grind your own beef. I started doing that, and its amazing the results you can get out of a humble chuck roast. Even more amazing if you cure it with a little kosher salt for 24 hours before you grind it. And if you force yourself to only eat hamburgers you grind at home, you'll automatically eat less hamburgers, because its a pain in the neck to grind and clean up.

But the hamburgers you DO eat, you'll thoroughly enjoy. And you'll know exactly what went into it.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Thank you. This was many moons ago though. Since then I have had two kids, put some back on that really doesn't want to come off now at all. It's just great getting old. I have recently joined a gym, but becuase of my job I don't have the time to invest. Therefore, results are quite limited.

Wow, Sue, 100 lbs! That is quite an accomplishment. Congratulations! :)

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Not worth the behind-the-scenes drama that pops up when I ban someone.

Fun fact: There are no users banned right now. That's right, all of our old friends can feel free to log in and post to their hearts content.

Yeah, it was really more of an aspiration :). I still laugh every time I see that steam engine lying on the sidewalk. Best editorial image post ever.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Actually I walk pretty fast, generally about a mile every 15 min.
I have been bringing trail mix, of course now that the ticks and bugs are out I'll be hiking less. Doesn't mean I'll be walking less though, but just not on narrow trails infested with ticks.

Mar 10, 2008
I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing this. What is your margin of error on this calculation, and how did you arrive at this number?
I have been bringing trail mix, of course now that the ticks and bugs are out I'll be hiking less. Doesn't mean I'll be walking less though, but just not on narrow trails infested with ticks.

It's called long pants and DEET.

VeronicaM

Feb 3, 2008
I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing this. What is your margin of error on this calculation, and how did you arrive at this number?
Just because LIP is short in stature and has a "well-endowed" girth, doesn't mean he can't walk fast. I mean look at how fast he scuffs through shoes. He must be doing some serious power walking.

It's called long pants and DEET.
Yeah, if you don't mind supporting mexican labor. you know it's illegals that work in the DEET and clothing factories, right? LIP will tell you all about it.

Mar 10, 2008
The average walking speed is 2-3.5mph. A mile in 15 min is 4 MPH. Certainly doable, but unlikely given the weight and body type that LIP has told us he has.

When I hiked the AT, my partner and I tried to do a mile in 15 minutes. We did it but were practically running. It is not a normal hiking pace. We did have packs on, but they were light.
This weekend I did an overnight on the McKenzie river trail in OR and topped out at 3.8 mph, and that was pushing it. My base pack weight is only 9 lbs, so I'm not carrying that much, and the trail was just about as flat as the pinelands, only a few short switchbacks and no sugar sand.
I'm a scientist so I'm constantly crunching numbers in my head while I hike, whether I like it or not, so am very familiar with my own hiking speed. It is my own experience that makes me skeptical of the 4 mph claim. That combined with LIP's own claims of ill health and diet.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Well, the 2-3.5mph that I quoted was on a flat surface. On the AT you're dealing with inclines, declines, and presumably rocky terrain.

Admittedly, my "science" is just one of the first pages I found when I googled for "average walking speed."

Mar 10, 2008
Well, the 2-3.5mph that I quoted was on a flat surface. On the AT you're dealing with inclines, declines, and presumably rocky terrain.

Admittedly, my "science" is just one of the first pages I found when I googled for "average walking speed."

I'd say the 2-3.5 mph is an excellent number. In my experience if I include rest stops and everything I end up with an average of a little over 2 mph for the whole day, but actually walking it's more like 3-3.75 mph.

Mar 10, 2008

Well a few posts ago you said that this winter you did a lot of "walking at approx 3mph." I hate to be the one to break it to you but 3 mph does not translate to 15 min per mile. It means 20 minutes per mile. There is a huge difference in terms of effort between 3 and 4 mph. This is why I asked about your margin of error previously. If you said you walked a mile in 15 +/- 5 min. Then I might be fine with that. Otherwise I'm still skeptical of your 4 mph claim. Only illegals running from minutemen go that fast!:siren:

Mar 10, 2008
I see the results of eating Wendy's (even if it's only once a week) and I stopped eating it.

when was this? I have photographic evidence of you leaving wendy's just a few days ago:
lip-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.