Pine Barren History Shorts

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And again, if anyone wants the article just email or send a conversation to me. It is exactly what I wrote but you may want to see the article.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I now can get Obituaries. Throw me a historical name and I will see what I can do. Most likely late 1800s to now but maybe older. I don't know yet.

Sample.

12/12/1959

Harry Leek

Chatsworth, Jan 12 Harry Leek, 87, a retired blueberry grower of Jones Mill Road., died Saturday in his home. Born in Wading River, he had lived many years in the Chatsworth area. He was a member of the Chatsworth Methodist Church.

Surviving are five sons, Samuel, Ekven, Stanley, and Charles of Chatsworth, and Harvey, of Parkertown; three daughters, Mrs. Myrtle Leek, of Atlantic City; Mrs. Charles Beach, of Mt. Holly, and Mrs. Olive Green, of Chatsworth, and a brother, Charles E. of Oceanville.

Services will be held at 2PM Tuesday in a funeral home at 80 Hanover Street, Pemberton, where friends may call tonight. Burial will be in Chatsworth Cemetery.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I may be wasting my time because so many people here are not really interested in the history of the pine barrens it seems. In any event, I don't really care if anyone wants to see this or not, I am going to continue on.

If you have looked at any of the photos in Beck's hard cover books you may remember David Kell standing at Hampton Furnace between the ruins and the barn that was next to it. This apparently is his brother Charles.

Charles M. Kell.

Hammonton, Jan. 4

Charles M. Kell, 66, Atsion Ccranberry farmer, died at his home yesterday. A native of Atsion, he had lived there all his life. Surviving are his window, Maude H.; a son, George, of Hammonton; two sisters, Mrs. Eva Morey and Mrs. Lila Paterson, and two brothers, David and John, all of Atsion. Funeral services will be Friday, 2 P.M., at the home Burial will be in Greenmount Cemetery, Hammonton.

More on the Kells.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And here is David Kell who Beck photographed. Lakeview Drive is downtown Atsion Road and I suspect the cemetery is now called Jr. Mechanics.

May 5 1945

On May 3, 1945, at Atsion, N.J., Davis S. Kell, husband of Anna Enders Kell, age 75 years. Relatives and friends of the family are invited to attend the funeral services on Monday May 6, 1945, at 2 0'clock at his late residence, Lakeview Drive. Atsion, N.J. Internment at Jr. O. U. A. M. Cemetery, Tabernacle, N.J. Friends may call Sunday evening.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Well, I care. And I appreciate all that you do. Keep up the good work Guy. It has lifted my sprit, which was pretty low after reading what was posted elsewhere on the site overnight.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Well, I care. And I appreciate all that you do. Keep up the good work Guy. It has lifted my sprit, which was pretty low after reading what was posted elsewhere on the site overnight.

Make that 2 of us who care, and I’m sure most do as well or they wouldn’t be on this site. Keep them coming!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I have been helping Rooftree acquire information on his ancestors from Atco and have come up with quite a bit of interesting stuff. I have given him so far almost everything I could find. However, I have held back one piece of information that surprised me and hopefully it will surprise you. And it is important that Broke Jeep Joe read this closely as he may be interested also.

Rooftree's Great Grandfather, Job NELSON Varnum of Atco was it's first settler. More on his family later. On April 8, 1879 the below Jury Duty summons appeared in the newspaper. I will edit it by just removing many of the names and highlight the names of importance.

4/8/1879
JURORS FOR THE MAY TERM

Sheriff Calhoun in the presence of Judge Horner and Woolston drew the following names of petit jurors this morning for the May term:

First Panel.

James H. Carey, August Weaver, ENOCH C.ROBERTS, JOHN S. SHINN, Charles W. Haan, John Brace, NELSON VARNUM, etc.

So we can see Rooftree's relative, Nelson Varnum, is listed, but who are the rest? Well, we can wait to hear from Broke Jeep Joe, but I suspect John S. Shinn was his ancestor. So at this point I believe they served together. So who is Enoch C. Roberts? If you are a long time member you should know that last name.

View the first photo and read the text.

I suspect that Rooftree's Great Grandfather, Broke Jeep Joe's ancestor, and the owner of the stones in the photo all served on the same jury pool.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
9/13/1884

The Maple Island cranberry bog, situated near Waterford, and consisting of between twenty and thirty acres of the best cranberry property in this section of the state, was set afire by incendiaries Sunday and injured to the extent of several thousand dollars. The ownership of the land is disputed, a stock company in Philadelphia and a Vineland capitalist claiming it. The fruit thereon, to the extent of a number of hundred of bushels, was entirely destroyed. Footprints discovered around the place where the fire originated may lead to the discovery of the incendiary, and officer have been put in charge of the case.

Reactions: Menantico and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
In the post above we discussed Charles and Davis Kell from Atsion. This is his father.

10/21/1936

Theodore Kell Dies: Retired Rail Worker

Atsion, October 20, Stricken with a heart attack while chopping wood at his home, Theodore Kell, 63, of Lake drive, Atsion, retired railroad man, died today. His body was taken to the Hammonton morgue to await funeral arrangements.

Mr. Kell was pronounced dead by Dr. Henry Schwartz, of Atco, and the death certificate issued by Coroner Clarance S. Roberts, Jr., of Moorestown. His wife Anna survives.

Reactions: old jersey girl
In the post above we discussed Charles and Davis Kell from Atsion. This is his father.

10/21/1936

Theodore Kell Dies: Retired Rail Worker

Atsion, October 20, Stricken with a heart attack while chopping wood at his home, Theodore Kell, 63, of Lake drive, Atsion, retired railroad man, died today. His body was taken to the Hammonton morgue to await funeral arrangements.

Mr. Kell was pronounced dead by Dr. Henry Schwartz, of Atco, and the death certificate issued by Coroner Clarance S. Roberts, Jr., of Moorestown. His wife Anna survives.

This is the way to go. Outside, doing something usefull. Too bad we don't get to choose.

Reactions: Teegate

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
All,

I have been helping Rooftree acquire information on his ancestors from Atco and have come up with quite a bit of interesting stuff. I have given him so far almost everything I could find. However, I have held back one piece of information that surprised me and hopefully it will surprise you. And it is important that Broke Jeep Joe read this closely as he may be interested also.

Rooftree's Great Grandfather, Job NELSON Varnum of Atco was it's first settler. More on his family later. On April 8, 1879 the below Jury Duty summons appeared in the newspaper. I will edit it by just removing many of the names and highlight the names of importance.

4/8/1879
JURORS FOR THE MAY TERM

Sheriff Calhoun in the presence of Judge Horner and Woolston drew the following names of petit jurors this morning for the May term:

First Panel.

James H. Carey, August Weaver, ENOCH C.ROBERTS, JOHN S. SHINN, Charles W. Haan, John Brace, NELSON VARNUM, etc.

So we can see Rooftree's relative, Nelson Varnum, is listed, but who are the rest? Well, we can wait to hear from Broke Jeep Joe, but I suspect John S. Shinn was his ancestor. So at this point I believe they served together. So who is Enoch C. Roberts? If you are a long time member you should know that last name.

View the first photo and read the text.

I suspect that Rooftree's Great Grandfather, Broke Jeep Joe's ancestor, and the owner of the stones in the photo all served on the same jury pool.
Interesting find Guy, thank you for posting.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
8/24/1942

Industry' Editor Names State Lake; Calls It "Absegami"

In the mists of the beautiful Bass River State Forest is a sparkling lake. Some four or five hundred people cavort in it's waters, lines its beaches.

That lake was named by Jersey Industry's editor, Henry Beck recently. He called it Lake Absagami, an Indian title. According to a letter written by J. C. MacDonald, supervisor of Bass River State Forest, Beck's name was selected as the best of a list of suitable labels submitted by him to the State Department of Conservation and Development. The department also thanked him for his interest.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I like that lake a lot, and I like the name. I recall a couple family picnics there. I've lived and swam in Hampton Lakes, Presidential Lakes, Lakehurst, and Bamber Lake. I also swam in Mirror lake and both swimming lakes in Forked River and Harry Wright lake in Whiting too. Fond memories.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
10/23/1936

Route S40 (72), Woodland Township, Burlington County, Central Railroad underpass construction. Traffic maintained on old Route S-40 at grade. Slow down: watch for signs and signals.