2017-18 Winter weather

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Made it home after several detours for accidents, stuck vehicles and downed wires. I saw a transformer arc up and then explode right in front of me on the Pike in Chesihurst that actually left me seeing white spots for a minute. It was actually pretty cool to see. The liquor store in Chesihurst was closed and had several disappointed would-be customers peering through the darkened windows.

As I feared though, when I got home we had no electricity. No electricity = no water = no heat = no nothing. (except for gas stove)
So I broke out the snowblower and a somewhat cold beer and started throwing slushy snow. It worked better than expected.
I hauled the generator out and positioned it where I could bring a power cord through a window to run the fridge and a some lights but I didn't start it up because I was going to give it an hour to see what happened with the juice.

Then, while whacking up deer cutlets by headlamp for our already planned dinner, a miracle occurred. Electrical power was restored !

Thank God Ben Franklin invented electricity is all I have to say.
:)

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just had to go out and clear my driveway again. They plowed us in good this time. Would have been really noisy crashing through that mess in the morning.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
We got about two inches here, almost nothing on the driveway though. Sure glad that period of intense snow didn't last long, the trees were really beginning to bend. But when the snow stopped, it was just warm enough that most of it dropped off the trees. Cleared it off my car with a broom - this stuff really is about as wet and heavy as snow can be.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Snowfall;

DXvMBZXV4AM1p4j.jpg:large

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Lost power yesterday about 3pm and went to pic a lilly for dinner.
Pic lost power but luckily just after we were served.
Trees down everywhere on ride home
Sadly, still without power at home today

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Old houses typically used 2x6 rafters on very, very long spans- ones that would today require a 2x10 or 2x12 to pass inspection. I added collar ties a few years back when i replaced the roof, to stiffen things up some. I don't think there is any real danger, that house has stood for 80 years already without an issue.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I don't think there is any real danger, that house has stood for 80 years already without an issue.

80 years is a loooong time for a roof without any replacement or repair. Just have a roofer check it out if you have any concerns. The snow we had here was as heavy as I have ever moved.

Wildland937

Scout
Aug 24, 2016
New Germany
Many roads are blocked by fallen trees from the storm throughout Wharton and Winslow wma....going to take along time and manpower to get the roads cleared. Just a heads up to people out venturing...

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
80 years is a loooong time for a roof without any replacement or repair. Just have a roofer check it out if you have any concerns. The snow we had here was as heavy as I have ever moved.

Sure was! Moved here in 2008 and after a few years of problems with ice dams and leaks through poorly fabricated chimney flashing, in 2011 I ripped the roof down to the framing, reinforced that, and replaced the decking, underlayment, flashing, and shingles. Still looking good, and it took this snow load pretty well. It's the heaviest I can remember in a while but surely not the heaviest since 1940.

Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd