Announcing the new NJPB Maps

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
https://developers.google.com/maps/billing/important-updates

We’ve moved the effective date of our new pricing, and the $200 free monthly credit, to July 16th. We’re launching the new Maps, Routes and Places functionality on June 11th. To provide you with an additional month of lead time, our new terms and pricing won’t go into effect until July 16th. Please take advantage of this time to try the new features and familiarize yourself with how billing will work.

Starting June 11th
We will enforce the use of API keys beginning on June 11th. Keyless usage will result in a degraded experience, or an error. See the Guide for Existing Users for details.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Chances are this may be the end of NJPB Maps, sad to say. I'll see if I can get it working with something that isn't google or see if the current usage won't go over their $200 credit, but potentially someone malicious could request their API a million times (using a script) and max out my credit card. I'd have to see if there's some protection against that.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I think they have an option of sending you a warning when usage approaches the $200 credit. But yes, it would be worrisome that someone could rack up a whole lot of hits with some automatic tile-scraping setup.

Two more weeks until the new system is enforced...

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
So it turns out that they actually do have a way for you to set limits. I signed up for an API key (and gave them my credit card.) Looking at my web logs it seems like my usage will be way way way less than the 25k/day limit they have. For some reason I thought they set the limit to 25k/month.

So idk we might be ok? I can at least watch the metrics for the api requests and see where it goes.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
That's great Ben, hope it works out!

Speaking of maps, I was just looking and there are a few more NJGIN layers that would be worth adding if you find the time. Note: do not click on the links below. They will not work in your web browser, they are configuration data that is used for NJPB maps

2017 aerials
https://geodata.state.nj.us/imagerywms/Natural2017?

I think these are from NAIP (National Agriculture Imagery Program), they are only one meter resolution so they show less detail than the other one foot resolution imagery, and they were shot in the summer to show the foliage. I believe NJGIN puts these online just to have some current imagery, and then later they will replace them with the regular one foot imagery that is shot during the winter. This is what has happened over the past few years in any case.

1970 NJDEP Wetlands Basemap
https://geodata.state.nj.us/imagerywms/BlackWhite1970?

This and the following are real gems that I somehow missed in the past. Vintage black and white aerial imagery from 1970 that is very clear - looks good at level 19 zoom. The coverage is limited, since it only shows wetlands, but the parts I've seen look very nice. Here's the coverage

1970coverage.png

And here is an example of the full resolution imagery at zoom level 19

1970.png

1977 Tidelands Basemaps
https://geodata.state.nj.us/imagerywms/BlackWhite1977?

Same kind of thing as the 1970 imagery - very clear black and white aerials from 1977. I looked at my own road and was surprised to see several old buildings that don't appear on the Historic Aerials site.

Here's the coverage.

1977coverage.png

And this is a full resolution example of the 1977 imagery at level 19

1977.png

For all those who are using Mobile Atlas Creator - I will soon publish a small file that can be used to access all the current NJGIN mapsources in MOBAC and make your own maps from them.

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin and 46er

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Reactions: manumuskin

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
You may notice that many of the NJPB map layers are not working. Specifically the layers with names such as "Aerial-1930, Aerial-1995, etc" and also the Historic Topo. This data all comes from the NJGIN servers, and they made a change in the access URLs which went into efffect today.

Turns out that they announced this change back in January, but I never noticed until today. The good news is that the fix should be pretty simple. Bad news is that only Ben can do it. ;) I sent him a PM, so please be patient and I'm sure he will get around to it soon.

BTW, this is also going to break my NJGIN Access map package. Again, the fix *should* be easy, and I will post an updated version soon.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
BTW, this is also going to break my NJGIN Access map package.

I just posted a new version. To update, just download it again and follow the simple instructions on the first page of the README file. Let me know if you have any problems with the new version.

https://boydsmaps.com/njgin-map-access/

...And if you haven't previously installed NJGIN Map Access, now would be a good time to do it!
Create maps from all the New Jersey aerials for your Garmin or Magellan GPS and dozens of apps :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Just noticed this: https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=99cd5fbd98934028802b4f797c4b1732

These are the USGS 24k maps you see when you choose "Topo" in NJPB maps. If I'm reading this correctly, these maps are going to be discontinued soon (maybe as soon as September?).

"Important Note: This item is in mature support as of March 2019 and is no longer updated."

According to an ESRI document entitled Basemaps Life Cycle Support Status:

"Esri’s general policy when planning to retire a content service is to transition the service to the Mature Support phase for at least 6 months or as reasonable, before Esri discontinues or retires the service"

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Those maps have quite an odd history, they're actually NOT "real" USGS maps, they're the old National Geographic TOPO! product that was discontinued a number of years ago. National Geographic added hillshading to the original USGS maps. This is not obvious when you look at maps of the pines, but you'll see it if you pan the map to the mountains. Evidently ESRI bought those maps from National Geographic. I was going to use them at boydsmaps, but when I read the license agreement it seemed this was not permitted (license says they can only be used with ESRI's own software).

It's really a shame that the USGS no longer offers the old topo's as a mapservice. They discontinued them a few years ago and now only offer the new-style National Map Topo. I may have to build my own version of the 24k topo's, I already have "1999 in the pines" but it only covers South Jersey. Have been thinking about expanding this to more of the mid-Atlantic region at level 15 resolution, but of course that would be a big job.