Atsion Get-Together: Sunday, August 23, 2009

I haven't been on the board in a long while, but I was actually planning on heading over there tomorrow for the tour anyway (I'm about 15 minutes away now). If its not too late, my girlfriend and I will be showing up. If it is too late, we'll just wander around by ourselves, looking sad and lonely.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
WHAT A GREAT TIME!!!!! It was really nice meeting everyone from the forum today. Guy & Jessica, Largo, Ben, PineBaron and his kids & brother, MTS83, Banjo & wife and all the others whose name escapes right now I got a pleasant surprise when I found out JerseyMan lives the next town over from me!!! The mansion tour was really good too, as I learned alot once again hanging out with the gang!!! Then on to the Pic-a-Lily for some refreshments and wings!! What a way to top off the day!!! I had so much fun, I actually went back to Atsion after the Pic and wandered around the church and school house for little while longer. Met up with MTS83 while wandering too!!
Again, a great time with great people!!!!! Lets do Batsto in the fall!!!

BTW, I hope to post pics in my gallery tonight sometime. Time for a shower and some rest first!! LOL!!

StanBo

Aug 21, 2009
Damn I have to search this site better! I could have worked overtime yesturday and joined you all today.

Can't wait to see the pictures.

Banjo

Scout
Apr 17, 2005
S.W. Missouri
Once again I have to say thanks to Ben for this website, and the tour of the mansion. As always its great to meet the people behind the names. My wife sometimes cringes when I tell her that I want to go see some hole, or pile of rubble in the woods where some sort of structure once stood, but she along with me have always enjoyed the company of the members of this forum. The varied interests and knowledge of the members never ceases to amaze me.

The tour was great. To see the structure restored and unfurnished was great. Too many times when one tours a building like this, it looks too perfect, when in reality, places never looked in real life like back then as they do when restored and furnished. Most peoples living rooms never look like the ones in good housekeeping, to me, the everyday clutter is what gives a room its character.

The other thing that meet ups like this remind me of, is how little I know about the history of the area in which we live, and how little of it is made known to us in our schools. We learn about Philadelphia and Trenton during the Revolution, but not about the part that West Jersey played due to its geographical location, people, and resources.

Ok enough of my ramblings. I blame it on too many wings at the Pic. ( OK Largo, enter comments here:v:) Between the food and beer, i was ready to take a long nap when i got home. Jo fell asleep on the way. We made it to the dumping station with no problems, thanks Guy, and John. Picked up a rack of ribs from the Kingfish, and called it a day.

Thanks again to all for making this a great afternoon out.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
It turned out to be a fantastic day in and around Atsion. The weather couldn't have been better (or the company). It was great to finally meet some of the folks from the forum. I want to thank Ben for putting it all together. The (2) guides were super and we seemingly got the VIP treatment. They really enjoyed having such a knowledgeable group on one of their tours. I would always have a good time in a place like that; but as my children had fun too, it was that much more enjoyable.
Our little get together at the Pic was very nice. It was great to get to talk to some of the folks, for a change, and interact instead of reading words on a computer. (No complaints... that's fun, too). And of course the wings were top-notch as usual! :)
After the Pic-a-Lilli, my 2 kids, brother and I went for a short paddle on the Mullica to round out the perfect day. We put in about a mile (by car) past the tracks on Quaker Bridge Rd and paddled down to the old campsite/beach. We had a nice swim there and checked out the old bridge. (Really getting bad!). The sun was kind to us on the way back upstream as it hid behind a bank of clouds. We saw no other river traffic and only two vehicles, so it was like we that part of the river to ourselves. Very peaceful. We didn't see much wildlife: deer or waterfowl. We did manage to spook a half a dozen or so turtles off their perches. But this just gave us more time to enjoy the Pickerelweed and Sundew. Sorry, no pics... no plastic bag. (my fault) :(

All in all, I couldn't have asked for a better day or better company to share it with. Thanx one and all!

John-

Ditto what everyone else was saying, it was a great outting and many thanks to Ben for setting it up. It was really awesome to see the mansion inside for the first time, and I was suprised at just how much I enjoyed seeing a building stripped of all furniture and almost all decorations.

Did anyone figure out exactly what the clip to one side of the window was for? If not any if anyone took/can find a similar picture of one on the internet, my girlfriend has a family friend who is an antique building materials expert and would know what it was.

Anyway, it was great to meet the people I met for the first time, and its always nice to see the people I've met on the sporatic outings I have made. I hope to do it again sometime soon.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
All,
Well here goes it. I could not have asked for a finer group to share this with. I do miss those who couldn't make it. Especially you Terri, who would have made the tour more interesting (Warned them about me did you?) On that note, we had two wonderful girls take us about and they were offering as much knowledge as they were willing to accept from all of us in turn. (We need to confirm the window whats-its guys!) Our little walkabout on Ben's prompting was a treat just to see a little of the old scenery and to have a touch of the river. We all owe a thanks to Ben for the get together idea.
I will say this, anyone... who would even consider it. GO HERE!
The architecture is a treat, the restoration is pretty darned good on the whole. I thought at first the lack of furnishings would be a bummer but no, you get to let the mind wander as to the adornments used. You get to let the mind wander as to the practical tools, cookery, and methods of preservation of perishables at the time were employed. The building's use of windows, room positioning, structure in general shows that architectural engineering of that period rivals or beats anything today. The lack of furnishings allows one to see the architecture, gather and appreciate the design and best, without adornments you can take in the wonder of the many color patterns employed and their practicality as well as beauty.
The folks... Ben well, even a tyrant can be a nice guy sometimes. After so long it's was very nice to meet Oriental and Mike Bickerson and their respective ladies. You contribute so much here that faces to names was a pleasure. PINEBARON and his posse, John is a really nice guy, his brother a wit to talk to, and bright eyed, interested children always make me happy to see. John, thanks for your sincere words on my posts. Do the same. I trust it would be a treat for us all.(well, not the sarcasm part). Guy and Jess, even though you opted out on the Pic it is always nice to see you two together and enjoying the Pines experiences. Keep it up Dad and Daughter! MTS83, nice seeing you again and noticing your quiet way of taking in the scenery, collecting photos, and knowing you're enjoying good company. ChrisR, it was really great meeting you. I enjoyed talking with you, sharing a story or two ,and just seeing how your interests really show through in a crowd. Banjo & Jo, I can't tell you how good it was to see you two again! I'll tell anyone here, this couple are as youthful spirited as any you'll meet and have an awful lot of life experiences to share. Banjo has never let go of the kid inside him and it shows.(We didn't have enough beers for me to have too many comments Banjo so you're safe) The wings are intoxicating on their own. Rachael of the Pic was a a great sport (Some aren't when serving a table I sit at) Jerseyman, what can I say to my friend and mentor, and grammar check guru, one can not be bored in your presence unless they are they are an idiot, especially on a historical tour where your additions are priceless. So good to see you anytime. Stopped Mr. Hyde in his tracks as well.
Lastly, Ben's and Jerseyman's collaboration on a surprise that I never saw coming was so much appreciated. You blew me away! Thanks guys, you almost... choked me up and I can't afford to have my reputation tarnished that way. It was a great group to share it with, thank you all. I mean it. Well, I think this is at least two kind posts, you know where # three must be headed. Goodness me I can go on.
Be well, all
Humbly,

g.

Folks:

I enjoyed meeting all of you intrepid souls that made it to the meet-and-greet at Atsion. As others have said, it is great to put a face with the name—both real and user! I enjoyed some quiet conversation with Mts83, and don’t worry, Mike, I have not forgotten what I promised to send to you and will do so sometime today. To ChrisR: Howdy, neighbor!! Banjo, Pine Baron and the rest of you: great to break bread with you at the PIC and enjoy some friendly palaver! And for you, LARGO, our “Key” guy, Happy Birthday! You really take the cake, my friend!!

And, of course, Ben, the tyrannical master of the tour and feast, it always great to be with you!

For those of you who failed to appear yesterday, you missed a great time!!

Now, regarding Mike’s question below,

Did anyone figure out exactly what the clip to one side of the window was for?

here is my researched response (Patent no. 88,179):

Improved_Cord_Tightener_Text.jpg

Improved_Cord_Tightener_Drawing.jpg

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Largo, your post summed up the day & people perfectly!! Also, to MikeBickerson and anyone else on the tour, I have posted pics in my gallery of our trip. I still ponder about the writings on the window some of us saw. My only regret of the day is that we weren't allowed to photograph the inside of the mansion. Largo is 100% correct about the mansion with no furnishings. It really made you think about how that place could have looked with furnishings and people inside.
I could visualize a family or social gathering taking place, or a stormy summer night with some of the shutters closed perhaps.

All in all a good day was had by all!!!

Can't wait for a Batsto trip in the Fall!!

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
George and Chris:

It helps to have the Patent Office reports in my library! :eng101:

I carefully recorded the patent date yesterday while in the mansion and then, this morning, I used the summary volume (I) and the drawing volume (III) from the 1869 report to zero in on the correct fixture.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Why didn't I think of that!!?? :rofl:

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Atsion

Damn, missed the trip. I forgot to check to see what time the meet up was. I spent the night near Batsto in the back of my truck, woke up around 8:00, and drove quaker bridge road to atsion and got there around 9:00. Walked around for about 2 hours and still didn't see anyone that I recognised from the photos on here. Asked some people I saw in the parking lot and no one knew what I was talking about. I asumed it was cancled because there was a chance of rain and left at 10:50 Doh! I saw the mansion was open and walked up to ask when the tours would be and the lady told me soon. I asked if that meant today or in some time in the near future and she said that day, but didn't seem happy about be even being on the porch so I said thanks and left the mansion. Thought I saw Guys car in the parking lot but I did not recognise the woman getting stuff out of it and I don't think it was jessica. I met one nice botanist running a trip into the pines and they were talkative, but he had never even heard of this site. All well, I'll try and catch the next one and I'll double check the site next time before I head out for the weekend.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Darn Kevin, I got to the parking lot at 10:45 and was sitting on the tailgate of my truck (black GMC) waiting for the group. I did wander a little bit (not very far at all, maybe 100' or so from my vehicle) to get a couple pics with a fogged up lens!! LOL!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Damn, missed the trip. I forgot to check to see what time the meet up was. I spent the night near Batsto in the back of my truck, woke up around 8:00, and drove quaker bridge road to atsion and got there around 9:00. Walked around for about 2 hours and still didn't see anyone that I recognised from the photos on here. Asked some people I saw in the parking lot and no one knew what I was talking about. I asumed it was cancled because there was a chance of rain and left at 10:50 Doh! I saw the mansion was open and walked up to ask when the tours would be and the lady told me soon. I asked if that meant today or in some time in the near future and she said that day, but didn't seem happy about be even being on the porch so I said thanks and left the mansion. Thought I saw Guys car in the parking lot but I did not recognise the woman getting stuff out of it and I don't think it was jessica. I met one nice botanist running a trip into the pines and they were talkative, but he had never even heard of this site. All well, I'll try and catch the next one and I'll double check the site next time before I head out for the weekend.

Kevin,

Did you walk up to the mansion porch and look in? If so, I saw you.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'll also fess up now, Yes I took (snuck?) a photo of the clip thing (minus the hook in the slot that should be there) on the windows and that is also posted in my gallery.

I saw you doing that, and so did someone else and they looked away and said nothing.

Guy