Carranza Memorial in wraps

B

bach2yoga

I don't know...but don't most Latin countries use both maternal and paternal names?
Should be like that here if you ask me (which you didn't!)... :p
Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bruset said:
Ed: It was on this site. The place was going crazy so I had to close the forum to give everyone some breathing room.

As I have mentioned, Alzheimer's is in my future. Then again it appears is is in the early stages already. I don't remember that at all.

Guy

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
TeeGate said:
njvike said:
Thanks for the link. I may actually go this year.

Ken,

It is always hot obviously on that day so be prepared. I find people watching to be the most interesting part of it. And check out the license plates on the cars. Many of them are from Washington DC.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/IMG_1316.jpg

Guy,

Great picture. As for the heat, as I continue to get older :rolleyes: I can take the heat much better than the cold. I will bring plenty to drink though.

Thanks again.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think that is a discussion that we should not continue with. That is best.

Guy

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Well, I was at Carranza on Friday evening and guess who was driving around? State Ranger.

Unfortunately, they were too late but hopfully tha vandals will be caught.

Anyone have an idea if they can even repair the monument before the event?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was at the Carranza Memorial today and the orange wrap had been disturbed to the point that you could see almost all of the memorial. So looking it over quickly we could see that it had been spray painted. Other than the paint the only word or symbol that we could see that would cause concern is the word "stud". It looks like they have tried to remove it as was mentioned, but with a little sunlight and rain, it will soon disappear. Again, we did not see every inch of it so there may have been something else written of concern.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/IMG_3646.jpg

Guy

B

bach2yoga

That is so sad. There are supposed to be swastikas on it too. I really hate prejudice.

B

bach2yoga

I definitely think it was bored kids, too...but I didn't mean that they were doing marking a Mexican memorial out of prejudice; but the only people who would be rude enough to make those types of markings would be people that were prejudiced. I think they were bored, thought it would be funny...but their choice of graffiti reflects their prejudice. Not sure if I'm saying what I'm meaning....

B

bach2yoga

I think you are correct there...shock value is a big factor. It's deeper than the shock value that that I am wondering about, though..I must admit that I wonder what a person's environment is. Where did they learn it? They realize, most assuredly, the hatred that stands behind a symbol of attempted mass genocide of a race, or they would not have chosen that symbol for its shock value. I visited the Holocaust memorial in Alliance twice recently, and that point was really driven home for me. How can you not shed tears when standing before you is such evidence of human cruelty, of fellow mankind?

And how can anyone take the symbols of that cruelty and hatred and pervert them into mere shock value--unless there is a disregard for that cruelty and hatred? Their latent feelings and beliefs toward others certainly reflect an indifference toward other's suffering to use such a loaded symbol for mere shock value--to use racial slurs of that intensity.

I think that shock value is only the tip of the iceberg, that there is a lot more going on inside those young heads...from people who feel they were wronged or slighted by someone (parents, teachers, friends, society). Put this way, I don't think that a person who was not prejudiced would have chosen those symbols. And I think most of us are prejudiced in some way or form, though not necessarily racially.

I remember learning about four kinds of people--sorry, can't quote the book, it was a college textbook from years ago--those who are prejudiced AND discriminate, those who are prejudiced but do NOT discriminate, generally because it is not considered acceptable, those who are not prejudiced but DO discriminate (again, peer pressure, or not realizing they are doing it) and those who are not prejudiced and do not discriminate. Who admits to prejudice? It is socially unacceptable, and only the most extreme of us will admit to it-hence the value in using racial slurs for their shock value. If nothing else, it shows an utter disregard for the millions of lives that were lost and families torn apart as a result of prejudice--and to me, that blatant disregard stands as discrimination, wittingly or not. It is condoning prejudice, whether it is the intent or not. My dad used to always tell me that sitting on the fence is no different than condoning it. Inaction constitutes a choice and is in and of itself an action. I think that shock value represents more--what is going on inside of them, and not just on a personal level but also as a reflection of their view of society.

But that's just my humble opinion though, and everyone's going to have their own thoughts on it.

Sorry, I get a bit intense when it comes to this subject...I guess I just ridiculously dream of a fantasy world that is peaceful, where misjustices are righted, where people don't see color or shape or religion or anything else as barriers but celebrate differences...where people, of their own volition, get along and respect each other and life, human or not... :(

Off my soapbox now...

Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As of yet we have no proof there was swastikas on it. I didn't see any. There was a hole cut in the back and Jessica stuck her head in it and she didn't see any. Again, I am not saying they are not there, but we as of yet have no proof.

Guy