Carranza Memorial in wraps

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
The memorial has been recently redone. It is gorgeous. I went here the other day. I wept tears. Many many survivors are also buried at this cemetery. The Norma/Pittsgrove area was actually one of the first Jewish settlements in the US and has a long history. I don't want to give it all away so I am only posting 2 photos. One of the memorial entrance which resembles the sign at Auschwitz. Another of a grave of a survivor. Definitely check this out and is in the Pine Barrens my friends. I will be doing a future article.

The man who actually helped to create the memorial/museum in DC. Is also buried here.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Are you sure you posted this in the correct thread?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think this is it, from page two... a bit like posting the history of Mr. Softee in a thread about solar power. Pineywoman is sort of "non-linear". :D

I visited the Holocaust memorial in Alliance twice recently, and that point was really driven home for me. How can you not shed tears when standing before you is such evidence of human cruelty, of fellow mankind?

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I visited the Auschwitz camp in Poland in 1995. The saddest, scariest and most overwhelming place I've ever been.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Hey Mister Softee was in regards to its solar power, lol. Which is why I posted the history, haha. Also, I did my diligence and searched the threads to find the holocaust memorial mentioned on this site and voila, I posted. I didn't want to create a new thread. NJ Chile I would love to see Auschwitz. I think I would cry my eyes out. I took a course in school about the Holocaust. I recently found out because my mom was adopted that I am partially Jewish. German Jew. I am a mix of wonderful stuff like most Americans.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
NJ Chile I would love to see Auschwitz. I think I would cry my eyes out. I took a course in school about the Holocaust. I recently found out because my mom was adopted that I am partially Jewish. German Jew. I am a mix of wonderful stuff like most Americans.

I couldn't imagine that a person could go into that place and not cry. I don't think that being of Jewish lineage would affect your feelings one way or the other. I am not of Jewish faith, but all I could think of was the experience of unspeakable loss and suffering of other human beings. I couldn't imagine that if I were Jewish, the feelings would be stronger.

Before visiting, I had made the assumption that the camp would be more frightening than anything else, like an abandoned institution would be, but moreso than that, it's overwhelmingly sad. I promised myself that I would honor what people had been through by keeping quiet and not making a sound (it's a very quiet place, although there were many people there).

There is one room where they display the belongings of the people who entered the camp behind glass cases. There were piles of hair that they used to make sweaters and clothing, and piles of eyglasses, etc. After a few glass cases, I walked in front of one glass case that held little pairs of shoes, like those that a 4 or 5 year old would wear. After a moment I walked to the next case, and then saw little sweaters, toddler sized. I couldn't hold it together after seeing that. It was just too much.

Reactions: pineywoman

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
I can't imagine Chile. It is a place I'd like to visit someday, but not sure how I'd be able to hold up. After I
Have had a kid, man things get my heart even more these days.

Reactions: Ben Ruset

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Thanks Jerseyman. I just checked it out. Much thanks to this site. You guys give us young folks some hope and inspiration!

Reactions: Ben Ruset