Carranza Memorial in wraps

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
As of yet we have no proof there was swastikas on it. I didn't see any. There was a hole cut in the back and Jessica stuck her head in it and she didn't see any. Again, I am not saying they are not there, but we as of yet have no proof.

Guy

I'm just going by a letter written from the DEP. Possibly whomever wrote it was mistaken.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
When I was there yesterday, there was an official looking car parked directly behind the memorial in the parking are in the back. As we walked away from the memorial to look for something across the road, two woman got out of the car and walked to the memorial and looked under the wraps as we did and pulled on them. One had a lab coat type top on with large letters on the back. I am wondering if they were not there either watching it or working on it. That may have been why the tarp was open.

But then again it was Sunday, so that does not sound very plausible.

Guy

I passed by the Carranza Memorial late this afternoon (Thursday June 17th) and the tarp was gone. It looks like someone made an honest attempt to remove the graffiti, but some of it was still readable.

I can tell you the one narrow side written in Spanish did have a swastika spray painted on it, but it was cleaned to the point where the swastika really wasn't that noticable.

The large side with the falling eagle had several words spray painted on it. One appeared to be the "N word," but once again they did a pretty good job trying to clean up this side.

The narrow side in English had several words spray pained on it, but it had been cleaned and I couldn't make out any of the words.

The large side with the arrow had "White Power" spray painted on it, still dark and very ledgible.

I did take a picture of each of the four sides just in case anyone is interested. Like I said some of the graffiti is still noticable, so if you don't think your stomach can handle these pictures please don't look at them. I apologize for the quality of a couple of these pictures, but it was overcast and it just started to drizzle.

Falling eagle side of memorial:
http://www.markfletcher.net/images/carranza1.jpg

English side of memorial:
http://www.markfletcher.net/images/carranza2.jpg

Arrow side of memorial:
http://www.markfletcher.net/images/carranza3.jpg

Spanish side of memorial:
http://www.markfletcher.net/images/carranza4.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Again, another nice post. Thanks for clearing up the mystery.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
All,

I stopped again today at Carranza and took a close up of the swastika. If you are offended by seeing them, don't click on the link.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/IMG_3686.jpg

BTW, the bugs were really bad today. Did you think so also?

Guy

Guess it depends on where you were. We kayaked the South River peninsula which runs into the Tuckahoe River, leaving from Belcoville.

Nice breeze, lots of things in bloom. Fortunately, no bugs. The cladium tore my legs up though when I got out to explore.

Renee

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
I was going to head out to Carranza today but I ended up sleeping in.

I had a wisdom tooth pulled on Thursday so I am still a bit cranky and just want to sleep all the time.

Ouch! Been there, is not fun.

On our way to Hampton we moved a mud turtle across the road. Kendawg and Barry and my family and I started at Hampton Furnace, where we picked our first ripe blueberries of the season. On the way out we stopped at the Carranza Memorial. After that we checked out some of the foundations where Sue used to live in Friendship, and measured a huge oak Barry had found. A group of guys who were not from the area stopped us along the road at Friendship looking for a place to canoe, so we sent them out to 563.

We had lunch at Harrisville then checked out the boggy area nearby. We also stopped at an area that had bog asphodel in bloom, and made a couple of other stops. On the way back we stopped to measure the Harrisville pine tree. I stayed with Joseph while everyone else went over to measure it. Joseph got himself stuck in a high cedar, and was not able to come down. Right about then, two rangers came through and asked what I was doing. "Getting my son out of the tree!", I responded. "Oh, yes, don't leave him up there." -and they started to leave. "Wait", I yelled...."I could use some help!" So over they came. Well, Joseph by this time was completely overwhelmed and proceeded higher up the tree to get away from the ranger who was slowly climbing after him. After a few minutes, a canoe rental van returning with--you guessed it--the fellows we met at Friendship--stopped, unable to pass because of the rangers' vehicle. So the driver got out and was able to get Joseph down.
Anyway, from there we checked out an interesting area Ken found with an old boiler and Indian pipes, then headed to the Batsto fire tower.
Some of the more conspicuous plants we saw in bloom included bog asphodel, Pickering's morning glory, grass pink orchid, rose pogonia orchid, and golden crest.

The weather was perfect.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Joseph got himself stuck in a high cedar, and was not able to come down. Right about then, two rangers came through and asked what I was doing. "Getting my son out of the tree!", I responded. "Oh, yes, don't leave him up there." -and they started to leave. "Wait", I yelled...."I could use some help!" So over they came. Well, Joseph by this time was completely overwhelmed and proceeded higher up the tree to get away from the ranger who was slowly climbing after him. After a few minutes, a canoe rental van returning with--you guessed it--the fellows we met at Friendship--stopped, unable to pass because of the rangers' vehicle. So the driver got out and was able to get Joseph down.

Gee, I wonder who this reminds me of? Hint: Drive-in Movie Theatre :lol:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bach2yoga said:
After that we checked out some of the foundations where Sue used to live in Friendship, and measured a huge oak Barry had found.

Sounds like a good day. Did you measure the pine tree at Harrisville, or should I say did Ken measure the pine tree?

Guy

KenDawg

Scout
Aug 10, 2003
South Jersey
Joe and I did measure a Pine tree at Harrisville, but I'm not sure it is the same Pine tree. The one in the picture seems more in the open than this one. We put some string around it and then laid it on the ground and Joe walked it off. A rough estimate of 7' 4". Sorry no tape measure. We walked all over the area trying to find another Pine tree that big but no luck.

KenDawg said:
Joe and I did measure a Pine tree at Harrisville, but I'm not sure it is the same Pine tree. The one in the picture seems more in the open than this one. We put some string around it and then laid it on the ground and Joe walked it off. A rough estimate of 7' 4". Sorry no tape measure. We walked all over the area trying to find another Pine tree that big but no luck.

Was it about 30' from a cellar hole?

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
KenDawg said:

I'll ask Joe if one the guys doesn't respond first. I was over with my little monkey in the tree. :)
I know it was near the grist mill.

KenDawg said:

30' from which cellar hole ? lol It was near the grist mill but not at the grist mill.

It was near the cellar hole in the picture if that helps.

abq.sized.jpg