Harrisville Tour

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
On Saturday April 16 I will be leading a tour of the ruins at Harrisville.

We'll be exploring the lesser known ruins at the site, so even if you've been at Harrisville, there might be something that you have not yet seen. This trip will be geared for those who may never have been ghost town exploring, so we'll be doing a lot of talk about cellar holes, foundations, and some ways to locate forgotten towns.

The plan is to meet at 9AM at the ruins. If you do not know how to get there, go to Mapquest and use "Harrisville, NJ" as your destination. It should give you turn by turn directions. You will not need 4WD, but I do suggest long pants and bug spray since we'll be walking through the woods, and tick season will be upon us.

We'll break for lunch around noon, and head over to the Pine Barrens Deli in Green Bank. Depending on our progress through Harrisville, we'll either go back and finish exploring, or if we've been through everything, take a ride up to Martha's Furnace.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
bruset said:
Is there really this little interest in this?

I don't think it's necessarily true there is no interest Ben. On my normal PBX trips I get very little committment until the last week. People usually don't like to commit earlier, cause then they feel like a heel for having to back out if something comes up.

PS: you had a lineup for Washington/Martha, perhaps there's something to that.

PBJ1971

Scout
Oct 19, 2004
Belleplain, NJ
I can go, let me just check with the boss (husband LOL) and make sure I take my shots in the morning before I go :) Look forward to see others there...

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
I'd like to go, but like Bob said, I can't commit this far out. I'll only know a few days before if I can make it. 4WheelinBee, Bev, said that she's interested. I would like to go to Martha as well. I've only been out there once and I was by myself and I didn't really know very much about the area at the time. I hope that I can go; I've never been out with you folks.

Gillian

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
BobM said:
I don't think it's necessarily true there is no interest Ben. On my normal PBX trips I get very little committment until the last week. People usually don't like to commit earlier, cause then they feel like a heel for having to back out if something comes up.

PS: you had a lineup for Washington/Martha, perhaps there's something to that.

The Washington/Martha trip sort of morphed into this. There really isn't much to be done at Martha or Washington - certainly not enough to make a day of it. I figured going through Harrisville would eat up a good part of the day, and then we could hit Martha afterwards.

Rubibee

Scout
Dec 10, 2002
Moorestown, NJ
I'm really hoping to be there. It all depends if hubby has to work or not and he won't know that until like the week of. I've wanted to go on so many of these outings with you guys. I'm gonna really try to twist hubby's arm for this one.

We've explored Harrisville and Martha a few times, but I would *love* to know MORE about each site. Especially how Harrisville looked at it's heyday. I remember someone saying they had a sketch of the town - who had this? I would love to see it.

<keeping fingers crossed>

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Ben,

What's the story on the dam across the Wading River just down stream from Harrisville Lake? And how about that old boat just downstream from the dam?

Ed

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Ed,

Do you mean the dam that's just 20-30 feet from the road on the other side of the lake?

And as far as the boat, I haven't seen it.

---

Ariadne,

What publication were those photos from?

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
All things permitting, my father and I will be joining you guys on this trip.

Tom

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
bruset said:
Ed,

Do you mean the dam that's just 20-30 feet from the road on the other side of the lake?

And as far as the boat, I haven't seen it.

---

Ariadne,

What publication were those photos from?

These are from research files I've accumulated here at work in association with a different paper mill site, but the origin is the archives at the HSP (Historic Society of Pennsylvania). You can view a lot of their publically accessible catalog at http://www.hsp.org

There are several publications about Harrisville, however; I have two such in my library, but can't recall the authors at the moment.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Ariadne said:
These are from research files I've accumulated here at work in association with a different paper mill site, but the origin is the archives at the HSP (Historic Society of Pennsylvania). You can view a lot of their publically accessible catalog at http://www.hsp.org

There are several publications about Harrisville, however; I have two such in my library, but can't recall the authors at the moment.

I have the two I think you're talking about.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
The dam is here

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?latd=39&latm=40.705&lond=-074&lonm=32.479&datum=NAD83&u=7

it used to span the entire width of the river, but last year the east end washed out.

It's a very popular cooling off spot for canoists. You can also walk or drive in.

The boat is here

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.6836&lon=-74.5446666666667&datum=nad83&u=7

It was old when I first started paddeling the Wading back in the 60's.
It's not a river boat, but more like a launch which would hang from davits. It's very rusted.

I wish I had pictures, the next time i'm there I'll take some.