My first Orchid of the season

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
That area was a farm at one time. This is the same general area that I photographed the Platanthera lacera, P. clavellata, Cypripedium acaule, Tipularia discolor and Goodyera pubescens(almost). Also several other rare plants in the area.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Last night while looking for a spot to photograph the night sky, I came across several rye fields that I haven't been in before. Today, I returned to visit two and found a group of Ladies'-tresses that looked much different that what I have been seeing in the area. These smaller orchids have slightly larger flowers and less of them. The flowers are also pure white in color.

Becks Ladies'-tresses (S. tuberosa). I have seen the spider on other white flowers.

sm.jpg

The necessary close up.

Tressesdifferentsm.jpg

Reactions: John and Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I found this xyrus in the Great Swamp. Could this be caroliniana? It looks similar.

IMG_0526a.jpg

Reactions: John

mjshevlin

Jun 25, 2010
Middlesex, NJ
www.euonym.us
Wow, you guys are having all the luck with Spiranthes, those are some fantastic pictures! A friend and I hiked nearly eight miles today, and we didn't see a single one. It's tough hunting these needles in haystacks; in previous years I've found S. laciniata, S. lucida (in northern NJ), and of course S. cernua, but I haven't had any luck with S. lacera or S. tuberosa to date.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
i don't think so. I certainly don't have a photo of any.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Oji, I thought you might find this photograph to be of some interest. Notice the difference in size between the tresses. The plant centered is almost twenty-four inches tall, while the plant to the lower left of it is close to six inches tall. As you know, both fall into the normal height range for S. l. var. gracilis, but it is drastic to see.

huge22.jpg

Reactions: John

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
It reminds me of the movie Twins with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito! If you want to see something unusual (non-orchid) on Rt. 530 in Pemberton Borough in front of Shady Oaks Apts. is a Quercus marilandica that is 55' tall and 8' in circumference.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I found a location last evening where there are hundred's of them over a large area.

IMG_0543.JPG

Guy

Reactions: Gibby

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Guy, I was in that spot yesterday around lunchtime. As you walk around you keep seeing more and more! Today I was in the area you were in this morning. We must be seeing each others footprints.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Teegate, to complicate things even more, Mjshevelin mentioned that, the two can create a hybrid. S. gracilis crossed with S. tuberosa creates S. xeamesii.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Guy, In your picture you can see a green coloring inside the flower. You can't see it in my photo but there is no green.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I looked for Spiranthes laciniata last week but I didn't see any but if it isn't blooming it's hard to see in all the green.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, In your picture you can see a green coloring inside the flower. You can't see it in my photo but there is no green.

Thanks! Now I know what to look for.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
These are all very confusing. I still am uncertain of what I photographed.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Teegate, Ladies'-tresses are one of the harder orchids to identify. One thing I have learned to look at that helps me ID the plant is the flower. If you look at the second picture of my post #162, the flower is completely white. Now look at the flower in your post #170. Notice how the throat of the flower you photographed is green, that small detail and the dense spiral of the spike (inflorescence) is a strong indicator that it is Spiranthes gracilis or Southern Slender Ladies'-tresses.

Oji's flower, is appears identical, but the flower is solid color. S. tuberosa is the only Spiranthes to bloom midsummer with a flower that is pure white. The color of the flower, time of year and details in the flower itself helped with its ID.

I have been reading a new field guide which has helped me learn much more. Being able to see the flower in person helps too.