Photo Archives--Forked River Mountain Coalition

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
By the way, there is something unusual in the Hollow Field cemetery photo that is not a cross or the people. It is a symbol.

I enlarged the photo 300 percent and I see a few things I did not see before. There is an American flag flying above the mens head, and there is something like a large goal post there. I assume that is a sign in the middle just to the left of the larger tree? I also see a shed or dog house sized shed there, and on the far left corner I see some sort of symbol on a tree it appears. Is that it? I am assuming the out of place white "cross" may be a sign also.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Slide 13--1973

13.PNG

The man above holding the bag of charcoal is definitely Herbert Payne of Whiting, but the photo is much earlier than 1975.
In 1974, I spent about two weeks with Herbie to photo document the entire coaling process. It would be the last kiln he burned, since shortly thereafter he had a stroke that prevented him from continuing this strenuous work.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The man above holding the bag of charcoal is definitely Herbert Payne of Whiting, but the photo is much earlier than 1975. In 1974, I spent about two weeks with Herbie to photo document the entire coaling process. It would be the last kiln he burned, since shortly thereafter he had a stroke that prevented him from continuing this strenuous work.

Ted, the slide of Herbert is marked 13 June, 1975 by someone, and the date impressed on the slide by Kodak is 8 July 75. On the burn the handwriting shows 2 June, 1975, and the date on the slide is 19 June 75. Could you be off by one year?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I am puzzled by the layout of Friendship. There were many buildings there, and some looked the same on the photos we know of. It does not make total sense to me. If we put what we know together we get this below. Is this what you remember Guy? I drove by in 1977 and remember mainly the chickens running in front of my jeep. I too should have photographed the town.

smallpngtogether.PNG
Together.PNG

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Okay Bob, I just blew my morning on this puzzle.:)
Does slide 12-1973 have a location? I am thinking it is looking back toward Speedwell, if it is Friendship. I thought Pan's shot was taken from the bridge looking SE.
Here are a couple of pics from Ghost Towns and other quirky places in the PB.
I'm going to walk my dogs now.
Friendship text.jpg

Friendship Town.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Ed, it is very vexing, right? I can't wrap it up neatly. Slide 12-1973 has Friendship written on it, an it had to have been taken right near the bridge, right before you make the left towards Speedwell. Look at the bogs on the left in the photo...they prove that is the only way it could have been unless I'm totally missing something. When I first put the slide in the viewer, the slide was backwards and the bogs were on the right. I had a hell of a time trying to figure that out, and finally realized that the slide was backwards.

If Guy is right about Pan's photo being taken at the crossroads about where my pano was shot, then the trees by the car and goat as well as the tree on the left side have been bulldozed into oblivion. But, why does Pan's photo also show what looks to be the buildings in my photo? As of now, I can only assume that there were additional buildings shaped just like the ones in slide 12.

I'm not saying Guy's view of where the shot was taken is incorrect at all, because the enclosed photo of a foundation is most likely the building behind the truck (you can see the chimney clearly in the pano view). It's just that I can't come to a conclusion in my own mind.

Chimney.PNG

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I agree with you for the location the photos were taken. I said the location of 12-1973 because of the black top. I have been driving and walking that area since the 60's and don't remember the road south toward Hawkin Bridge or north on Carranza toward Tabernacle being paved, nor have I seen blacktop fragments there.
Here a Historic Aerial from 1963. I'm thinking 12-1973 is to the east of the buildings in Pan's photo.
http://www.historicaerials.com/aeri....751029512273&lon=-74.5849298113597&year=1963

Here is an interesting old thread on Friendship. It discusses the road to Speedwell being paved and today fragments of it can be seen in front of the houses in Pan's picture.
http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/friendship.4754/#post-51701

All of this being said, the pieces still don't seem to fit quite right.

The Friendship school relocated to Tabernacle.
P1010078s.JPG

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Does anyone know what building or buildings were below the packing house in Ed's hand drawn map? There is a concrete pad and depression in the general area where Friendship is written. If I remember correctly they are in the trees behind the "jug handle" parking area off of Hawkins Bridge.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Does anyone know what building or buildings were below the packing house in Ed's hand drawn map? There is a concrete pad and depression in the general area where Friendship is written. If I remember correctly they are in the trees behind the "jug handle" parking area off of Hawkins Bridge.

Don't know Gibby, I'm still confused. The drawing does not show everything. Look at a topo map and there is more to it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

You photo is stitched correctly. There is a small gap missing between your two photo's and Pan's and my photo's are also correct. It all fits.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Don't go exactly by that map. It is somewhat incorrect since it is missing a few buildings that the maker of the map did not know about. I am not saying the buildings shown are wrong, just that there were other buildings. Lost Town Hunter showed me their foundations and they are very large but very hard to see.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Yes, you are correct. That is where the foundations are. I mentioned that in a post a while back. So don't trust that map to be exact.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Where is the house location in slide 12-1973?

That photo is standing exactly where I stood taking my photo that matches Pan's. However, there have turned and are looking towards Speedwell. That building at the end is the school and that is the proper location it was at. If they had turned to the right and taken the photo theirs would have matched Pan's.

Remember, don't trust that map.. ever.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I think Ed was referring to the big brown house before you get to the school. This must be the foundation, but it seems small unless only a portion was a basement.

BigBrown.PNG