Pines Findings

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
I was just reading Guys post, the one with the A/C in the middle of nowhere. That got me thinking about a post I read on another forum where people posted strange, weird or just plain odd things they've run across while 4 wheeling. Well, I figure we could do the same here. Why don't we post our odd finds or happenings from our beloved Pine Barrens. Could be of anything. A material thing, animal, floral, anything at all. By all means, please do not give out locations to endangered or threatend species. I'll start.

When I was in boy scouts, we always went camping at Camp Lenape or Okinickin. Well, on one such occasion, we came across a baby snake. I can't recall the coloring exactly, but I seem to remember it being a black and white pattern. Anyway, when the snake would get frightened, it would flatten out!! Funniest thing I ever saw, It was a very docile animal, as we all gently handled it, and it would just lay in the palm of your hand. One of our scout masters said it was called a sand adder. I was a little skeptical, since the word adder to me, usually meant a venomous snake. This one wouldn't bite at all, I don't think. To this day, anyone I talk to about it, never heard of a "sand adder".

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Survivor the day after the Warren Grove Fire. Made me smile.

watermark.php

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Chris, that was an Eastern Hognose snake. Some call them "Puff Adders". Look it up on google images.

I found this young snapper in my yard this morning. I live 3 blocks from the lake. Go figure. Sorry for the lousy photo.

IMG_4333_Medium_.JPG

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Chris, that was an Eastern Hognose snake. Some call them "Puff Adders". Look it up on google images.

I found this young snapper in my yard this morning. I live 3 blocks from the lake. Go figure. Sorry for the lousy photo.

IMG_4333_Medium_.JPG

Lousy photo? It even smiled for the camera :)

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Looks like Mrs. Claus has him on a short leash!!

Thanks to all for clearing up the snake ID. Never knew Hognose's to flatten out like that.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Hmmm, where to start....

Locals expressing their interests:
watermark.php

the bra fern
watermark.php

Freaky-ness along a snake fence
watermark.php

An old fridge in Mt. Misery brook very far from accessable points
watermark.php

Jeff

SkullCherrys

Scout
May 4, 2004
Forked River/Belcoville

IMG_4333_Medium_.JPG
I found one next to my white truck 2 summers ago, i walked it back to the lake lol I also found a huge Painter turtle by the lake the other day, had to put it back in the water since i was afraid my demon dog was gonna harm it

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
My son and I went for a walk along the tracks out by Hampton yesterday.
We were looking for bridges #75, #76 and #77.
Great day for a walk but a lot of standing water made it a little "buggy".
We found our bridges and a couple of residents...

761.JPG

Bridge #76

Bridge4.JPG

Bridge inspector... found on top of bridge #75 over the Batsto.

Rail.JPG

Rail inspector

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Anyone been up spring hill recently? Saw some really weird circle of bones with more bones in the middle. Looked like it might have spelled something out at one point. Wonder who took the time to do that. Must have been abouit 50 bones there. All looked to be deer, but certainly not the same animal since most were of the same size. I took a pic but its on my cell phone.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We were looking for bridges #75, #76 and #77.
Great day for a walk but a lot of standing water made it a little "buggy".

Nice to see you found the bridges. A few area's along the tracks there are pretty bad with bugs as you found out.

Guy