Thoughts on ATV use in New Jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
but the state provides area's for you to go shoot your guns right ? and theres also private clubs right ? and even through out the year you get to go out on state land and kill the wild life right ? well we dont have anything even near those privliages!
i been riding and racing dirt bikes my whole life and some of my friends parents built motocross tracks for us to ride on , but i dont race any more and just enjoy getting out and about on the atv,and we cant even do that , and my sister owns 4 acres in franklinville but they hunt and its all woods so riding there is not very much fun at all
o and people that spend that kind of money to restore a car have it like that , we always rode at this one pit with no problems , and this guy that lives across the street has so much money he bought the land and blocked it off just to be a dick and not let people ride there ,

to my knowledge the state does not provide an area for me to just got shooting, and private clubs is kinda what im talking about being done with atvs. And i dont hunt.

Sorry to hear about the guy buying your pit. I just think there are costs to any hobby, i dont fly planes because i cant afford to buy my own plane, Sometimes we are limited by our finances. I just believe if atv users ever want a solution waiting for the state of NJ to do something.....Is risky to say the least. We see how long everything else in the state takes to get done, Id be willing to bet when we are all dead and gone our kids kids are going to be having the same debates we are.

prodirt18

Dec 10, 2008
Westwood
i am just tired of this. i wanted a atv for so long and i just got it and now there is no where to ride. the only place is a english town on the race track and i love the trails so idk what the f'''' to do. the only way to ride in nj is race a quad and that is so much money. i have a truck to. that love to go off road with i cant tell you how many time i got in trouble for that.
i believe there should be a nice park that the charge us and that will be it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
i am just tired of this. i wanted a atv for so long and i just got it and now there is no where to ride. the only place is a english town on the race track and i love the trails so idk what the f'''' to do. the only way to ride in nj is race a quad and that is so much money. i have a truck to. that love to go off road with i cant tell you how many time i got in trouble for that.
i believe there should be a nice park that the charge us and that will be it.

I am pretty sure New Egypt Speedway on RT539 also has an enduro and ORV track, might be wrong about this though. May have been the previous owners.

TheBronzeMan

Dec 9, 2007
Alot of good posts in this thread.

I do not currently own a ATV or a 4X4 vehichle.

My real question is why should the state have to make a atv park for the residents of NJ? Anyone that wants to ride there ATV go to salem or cumberland county and buy 40 or 200 acres or how ever much you want and ride the day away.

I know that may not sound like a logical solution but riding atvs in an area thats supposed to be preserving wildlife and natural areas doesn't sound any more logical to me.

Im sure if all the people that want to ride put there money together they could get a huge lot of land and go to it.:words:

Well Aaron,

The truth is New Jersey Public Land wasn't originally intended for preserving wildlife habitat or even preserving nature.

The original purpose of New Jersey Public Forest as well as Fish and Game land was so the average citizen had access to land that was being gobbled up by the wealthy robber barrens of the late 1800s and early 1900s.

The initial purpose of the states public land initiative was so ALL NEW JERSEY RESIDENTS would have land available for Hunting, fishing, logging, mining or any other uses during the infancy of the states public lands initiative.

Over the years interests change as well as the types of recreation that we Americans choose to do... and the state has a responsibility to provide ALL NEW JERSEY residents with land so they can enjoy their chosen form of recreation.... that's the real purpose of public land and that's why it's called PUBLIC LAND,

New Jersey State Forest and New Jersey State Fish and Game land is for the public to enjoy (ALL THE PUBLIC)... if anything the state has a responsibility to encourage the public to utilize public land or they are not holding to their responsibility and promise of what the land was originally intended for.

Public land is just that PUBLIC LAND! It's there for all the public to enjoy now and for future generations... the states public land policy has to address all the needs for all New Jersey residents... not just a select few as some advocate.

It's public land and its there for all the public to enjoy.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Well Aaron,

The truth is New Jersey Public Land wasn't originally intended for preserving wildlife habitat or even preserving nature.

The original purpose of New Jersey Public Forest as well as Fish and Game land was so the average citizen had access to land that was being gobbled up by the wealthy robber barrens of the late 1800s and early 1900s.

The initial purpose of the states public land initiative was so ALL NEW JERSEY RESIDENTS would have land available for Hunting, fishing, logging, mining or any other uses during the infancy of the states public lands initiative.

Over the years interests change as well as the types of recreation that we Americans choose to do... and the state has a responsibility to provide ALL NEW JERSEY residents with land so they can enjoy their chosen form of recreation.... that's the real purpose of public land and that's why it's called PUBLIC LAND,

New Jersey State Forest and New Jersey State Fish and Game land is for the public to enjoy (ALL THE PUBLIC)... if anything the state has a responsibility to encourage the public to utilize public land or they are not holding to their responsibility and promise of what the land was originally intended for.

Public land is just that PUBLIC LAND! It's there for all the public to enjoy now and for future generations... the states public land policy has to address all the needs for all New Jersey residents... not just a select few as some advocate.

It's public land and its there for all the public to enjoy.

And if there are activities that are harmful or destructive to the area, or that inhibits others from enjoying there activites then what?

Whos hobby is more important the bird watcher or the guy on the atv destroying habitat ( im sure some atv and 4x4 are responsible, i havent had a chance to meet alot of them yet).

I think people expecting to do what ever they want in public land is moronic at best. Where does it stop? Arson? What if my hobby is arson, well you get the point, And i dont expect most people to agree with me and thats fine, But i would be amazed if you ever see ATV's Legally in the pines.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
the mx track in new egypt has been closed for many years , and if some wants to ride an atv and have fun they shouldnt have to be a millionaire, i think this whole thread got destroyed by mixed opinions , i love to ride and dont wanna go destroy wildlife and such , i just want area we can ride for fun on a non competion level , and aron , how can you call arson a hobby ? its felony ! how could you even compare the two things ? ( people like to bird watch and people like to hunt , what if someone was bird watching and a hunter shot that bird ?) whos the bad guy there ? they were both doing legal activities , riding atv's should not be a crime nor compared to a crime , PA has hundreds of miles of trails and such through the mountains , we are not so lucky to have such an area near us , but why not take a confined space and set aside for atv's , ive seen pits we used ride shut down at and woods knocked down for soccer and baseball feilds , why is soccer more important then atv riding ? o soccer keeps kids active and out of trouble ? well so does atv riding ! and now with all the places shut down people are forced to ride on private property , and then it makes us bad guys , we arent out to purposely destruct property in all honesty we are trying to stay out of trouble and the more we actually try to stay out of trouble the more trouble we get into by not even meaning to , why are dual sport dirt bikes allowed on state land and atv's arent , it causes the same amount of damage ! my quad is registerd and insured just not street legal , should that make a differance cause i have to haul mine in a truck as apposed to just riding there ? theres always a bad apple out of the bunch that spoils it for the rest no matter what it comes down to
i know not everyone is going to agree or feel the same the way , but thats the flat out truth ! WE ARE CRIMINALS FOR TRYING TO STAY OUT OF TROUBLE AND OFF DRUGS go figure that one out

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
the mx track in new egypt has been closed for many years , and if some wants to ride an atv and have fun they shouldnt have to be a millionaire, i think this whole thread got destroyed by mixed opinions , i love to ride and dont wanna go destroy wildlife and such , i just want area we can ride for fun on a non competion level , and aron , how can you call arson a hobby ? its felony ! how could you even compare the two things ? ( people like to bird watch and people like to hunt , what if someone was bird watching and a hunter shot that bird ?) whos the bad guy there ? they were both doing legal activities , riding atv's should not be a crime nor compared to a crime , PA has hundreds of miles of trails and such through the mountains , we are not so lucky to have such an area near us , but why not take a confined space and set aside for atv's , ive seen pits we used ride shut down at and woods knocked down for soccer and baseball feilds , why is soccer more important then atv riding ? o soccer keeps kids active and out of trouble ? well so does atv riding ! and now with all the places shut down people are forced to ride on private property , and then it makes us bad guys , we arent out to purposely destruct property in all honesty we are trying to stay out of trouble and the more we actually try to stay out of trouble the more trouble we get into by not even meaning to , why are dual sport dirt bikes allowed on state land and atv's arent , it causes the same amount of damage ! my quad is registerd and insured just not street legal , should that make a differance cause i have to haul mine in a truck as apposed to just riding there ? theres always a bad apple out of the bunch that spoils it for the rest no matter what it comes down to
i know not everyone is going to agree or feel the same the way , but thats the flat out truth ! WE ARE CRIMINALS FOR TRYING TO STAY OUT OF TROUBLE AND OFF DRUGS go figure that one out

Birdwatching and hunting arent illegal as far as i know, arson and riding atvs in the pines is.

And what does riding atvs and staying off drugs have to do with one another? I would think they would be mutually exclusive.

I dont know what the states justification for not allowing atvs but allowing dual sports, i dont understand it. But i doubt in any of our life times or our kids life times we will see atvs in the pines legally. If im wrong trust me ill be the first person inline to get one, until then i wouldnt spend 4-9k on something i cant ride anywhere.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
Birdwatching and hunting arent illegal as far as i know, arson and riding atvs in the pines is.

And what does riding atvs and staying off drugs have to do with one another? I would think they would be mutually exclusive.

I dont know what the states justification for not allowing atvs but allowing dual sports, i dont understand it. But i doubt in any of our life times or our kids life times we will see atvs in the pines legally. If im wrong trust me ill be the first person inline to get one, until then i wouldnt spend 4-9k on something i cant ride anywhere.

you missed the point , its not really just about the pines , its about being able to ride anywhere , the drugs .. well it seems like the cops dont care as much about people doing or selling drugs as much as they do about us riding atvs

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The truth is New Jersey Public Land wasn't originally intended for preserving wildlife habitat or even preserving nature....Over the years interests change as well as the types of recreation that we Americans choose to do... and the state has a responsibility to provide ALL NEW JERSEY residents with land so they can enjoy their chosen form of recreation.... that's the real purpose of public land and that's why it's called PUBLIC LAND

Keep going Bronzeman. You amuse me to no end. What else do you think we should be able to do on public land? Be specific now.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
you missed the point , its not really just about the pines , its about being able to ride anywhere , the drugs .. well it seems like the cops dont care as much about people doing or selling drugs as much as they do about us riding atvs

Really? When i was a state correction officer id say 90% of the guys on my housing unit where drug offenders, I cant say for sure but i dont remember having any atv riders locked up.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
Really? When i was a state correction officer id say 90% of the guys on my housing unit where drug offenders, I cant say for sure but i dont remember having any atv riders locked up.

i was in traffic court in winslow and seen 3 people in there for riding atv's on state land and left with over 3000 dollars in fines each person , and i herd with my own ears the cop say , now if you were on a dual sport that was registerd and insured you guys would have been fine , how is that fair ? and also
its funny cause theres a pit near me that i actually got busted at once , and there was really 3 murders in the area and they hadnt caught the guys , when i said to the cop , isnt there murder'ers on the loose and your worried about me riding my dirt bike , he didnt know what to say , likei said this thread got totally demolished by IGNORANT OPININIONS, ill say it once more , i dont wanna go tear up wild life , i love being in the pines and enjoying it the way it is when im hiking and never wanna see it change , but the main point is we have no where to ride atv's so i have no idea how this thread got turned into hate crime thread ,

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
i have no idea how this thread got turned into hate crime thread ,

C'mon Devilstoy, pull yourself up by your bootstraps young man! Nobody is hating you or any other ATV advocate. We are just discussing things here. Hold your head high and defend your position with confidence.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Oh good, TheTinMan is back! Where's my popcorn?

Anyway, this is some interesting discussion going on here. I especially like the "if I can't ride my ATV, then I might as well become a drug addict" line of reasoning. Good stuff!

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
I've been in countless areas where ATVs have left scars upon delicate environs in the pinelands. For example, this past Tuesday, at the final bog visited, on the fringe of the Great Swamp, I noted to Al where an ATV had picked a path between two spaced trees, entered the bog, and did a huge loop in the wetlands. Really ...

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.