Pinelands Commission Resolution: MAP 2.0

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I am looking in the parcel map folder and cannot find the KMZ file.I don't know why.I had it before.I did go to the newest open space map and it does list that area as green (state forest) but doesn't label it.It may well be part of Byrne now! Thats one less area that I won't be trespassing in the next time I visit! There is an island out there that is one of my favorites.The Nature Conservancy had bought some of that area out there but it looks like the state bought it off of them.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
You have a large area immediately SE of Chatsworth marked Byrne State Forest.This area was mostly private and has some nice dune/islands in it.Did the state by this and incorporate it into Byrne?

Al, is this more or less what you're talking about? This data is from the NJDEP openspace shapefile. They have changed all their links and I don't have time to figure out where it is now located. However there is certainly nothing new here. The file I used is from 2008 and when I checked last year it still had not been updated. Here's the openspace in green with some other features to orient you.

This is the same data I have used on all my maps for many years now. I started the process of refining this on the new map by using parcels instead of the boundaries from this shapefile which aren't very accurate. In most cases, it looks to have been traced from old USGS topo maps. But so far I have only updated Wharton and Bass River.

byrne.png

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Here's some more detail from my work on Wharton boundaries, if anyone is interested. This map is based on parcels and not the state openspace file described above. I used data from 2014 for this. The following color code applies:

Green - Wharton parcels
Pink - private parcels
Yellow - town or county parcels
Blue - other protected parcels (Nature Conservancy, etc)
Lavender - unknown ownership (no owners associated with the parcel in the state database)

wharton_parcels.png

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Sorry Boyd, I tend to be vague at times! Luckily those that know me can translate :). I wonder if anyone has read the revised resolution and can relay any thoughts from the user groups. I think written comments would be the best course since public comment at the meeting is after the subject is discussed and possibly voted on.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al, is this more or less what you're talking about? This data is from the NJDEP openspace shapefile. They have changed all their links and I don't have time to figure out where it is now located. However there is certainly nothing new here. The file I used is from 2008 and when I checked last year it still had not been updated. Here's the openspace in green with some other features to orient you.

This is the same data I have used on all my maps for many years now. I started the process of refining this on the new map by using parcels instead of the boundaries from this shapefile which aren't very accurate. In most cases, it looks to have been traced from old USGS topo maps. But so far I have only updated Wharton and Bass River.

View attachment 9682
I must have just missed it for years.Probably haven't been out there since about 08

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Boyd - your Wharton map EXCELLENT! Must have taken hours/days to compile. Had occasion to determine ownership of parcel bordering our home and NJ Natural lands Trust to west. State txa/parcel map not up to date, piece bought from listed owner some years ago. Wonder how often state map updated? Or budget victim? From some experience with Parker Preserve, its lands include areas north of 532 and west of 563 that map sows as white; ditto parcels south of 532 and west of 563. Have often wondered if anyone has a current map of preserved lands, state lands, conservation easements, etc., etc.?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Glad you're enjoying the map. :) Actually this is a continuation of a project that I began in 2008 (see: https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/boyds-map-of-the-pines-beta-available.5103/ ) so it has been many years and thousands of hours to get to this point. And of course, there is still a lot more to do. I don't have a staff or public funding, so I just slowly plod along in my spare time.

NJGIN has parcel data dated 2016 now - for example: https://njgin.state.nj.us/NJ_NJGINE...?docId={EC181B3D-4D15-11E1-A2E4-0003BA2C919E}

Whether the data from all counties is actually that current, I don't know. I used 2014 data for my earlier map, have you seen it? https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/parcels-in-the-pines.11747/ That map is in the MOBAC format that allows you to export for use on smartphones, dedicated GPS units, tablets and computers. In the next month or two I hope to release my big "Map of the Pines HD" in the same format.

Now the NJGIN data is not going to be very useful for the average person however. For starters, it's in shapefile format. But a bigger problem is that it only includes parcel ID data such as block, lot and PAMS PIN number. The ownership data is also provided, but is not linked to the shapefile. It's in the form on a Microsoft Access database. I imported into a relational database along with the .dbf attributes from the shapefile and "married" the two together, so I now have complete parcel data for the whole state on my computer. This was rather complex and resulted in some very large files.

[edit] was just looking at that 2016 NJGIN parcel link above. It says the new file has "joined MOD4 data" which implies that the state now offers a shapefile with owner and other data already combined. That would be very nice, will have to check it out. If you are good with computers and software, the free open source qGIS program can work with shapefiles, but there's a pretty steep learning curve. :) http://www.qgis.org/en/site/

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Have often wondered if anyone has a current map of preserved lands, state lands, conservation easements, etc., etc.?

Johnny, a good file for that...NJ-openspace.KMZ...I think I got it from Al. Import it into Google Earth. The green-bounded areas are open space. Click inside one and the file tells you what it is.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Actually I think that's another one of my maps - see this thread which includes a download link: https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/nj-wma-maps.6937/#post-82212

openspace2.jpg

It's based on the same old 2008 state openspace file which, as I said, has a lot of issues. My newer maps have more comprehensive openspace because I also included data from other sources. This new Wharton map is much more accurate and the full new topo will also include a fair amount of PA, DE and MD. In the meantime, I'd suggest using "Parcels in the Pines" (see above), it includes the older openspace but since ownership data is also displayed you can see other property that's owned by the state. It covers the whole "official" area of the pinelands.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy probably goes more places in a Focus than any 4X4 that travels out there! :)

It comes with a price. I am lucky I can do most of my own work or I would have had to get rid of my car a long time ago. Recently, I have put quite a bit of money into it. Today I purchased the engine torque strut, the other day was the drivers side mirror, the week before that a new tire, strut and ball joint. I usually replace everything involved with the back brakes every two years and this is that year. The car is nearing the end of it's life.

Reactions: manumuskin

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
It comes with a price. I am lucky I can do most of my own work or I would have had to get rid of my car a long time ago. Recently, I have put quite a bit of money into it. Today I purchased the engine torque strut, the other day was the drivers side mirror, the week before that a new tire, strut and ball joint. I usually replace everything involved with the back brakes every two years and this is that year. The car is nearing the end of it's life.

Its good that you can do most things on your own, auto repair can be expensive and hard to find someone trustworthy. I've been in the business for over 30 years and see some things that would make you cringe as far as repairs and repair shops are concerned. I think I've mentioned before that if anyone ever has a question or needs a repair by all means PM me. I agree with Ed on the TJ by the way! Also, isn't today supposed to be the PLC meeting this thread is about? :)