Boyd's Map of the Pines beta available

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Al, the data used to generate the contour lines comes from the 1/3 arc second National Elevation Dataset (NED13) which is a standard used on most topo maps. The choice of interval doesn't mean it will be more "accurate", just that there are more lines. For my 2012 map I used the 1/9 arc second National Elevation Dataset (NED19), which is much higher resolution LIDAR data. But I found that it made very messy contour lines that cluttered the topo map, so I have gone back to NED13 on this map.

Guy, here's a map of the same area at the same resolution (6 feet/pixel) showing tax parcels. These come from the state's parcel database. I have created labels that show BLOCK/LOT. Don't know if this will help you, but it was pretty easy to make using data I already had. It is a kmz file containing TIFF images, which seem to be cleaner than the JPEG files I used for the topo.

[Sorry, this map is no longer available - bad link removed]

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Update: December 2023
Although this map is no longer available, you can view parcels overlaid on LIDAR imagery here:

https://boydsmaps.com/pines/#17/39.710025/-74.664847/lidar2021hd/0/0/

Last edited:

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Boyd,
What a nice job, this is now my official reference map. I know a lot of work and knowhow goes into a project like this, just wanted to let you know it is appreciated
Thank you for sharing, Don

Reactions: Ben Ruset and Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Have just finished throwing together a Garmin version of my new map. It can be used in Basecamp (free download) on Windows and MacOSX and should be compatible with all Garmin handheld GPS units. I still need to make an installer with some instructions and upload the finished package, but hopefully it will be ready later this evening.

This map covers a much larger area, pretty much the whole core of the pines (28 USGS quads).

coverage.png

It also uses newer landcover data and hydrography. A lot more information is available using Garmin's vector format, just click anywhere to see details about landcover, openspace, addresses of buildings. And you can zoom way in to see all the detail.

01.png

Here's what it looks like on my Montana 600

02.png

Will post a download link later tonight...

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
The download is ready. Since this map consists of vector data, it's only about 18 MB. After downloading, unzip the file by right-clicking and choosing Extract All on a Windows computer. Simply double-click the file on the Mac. Follow the instructions in the PDF file to install the map in Garmin Basecamp. Links are provided to download Basecamp if needed. It's free, so even if you don't own a Garmin GPS you can view the map on your computer and use it for planning.

I made a push to get this done in the hope that it will help everyone prepare for the upcoming Wharton meetings. Let me know if you have any problems with installation. Here's the download link:

[bad link removed]

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I see that people are still finding this old thread and trying to download maps. Unfortunately, it was discontinued long ago and boydsmaps no longer offers Garmin-format maps. However, here's a much better version that works on a computer or lets you use your phone like a gps.

https://boydsmaps.com/#15.00/39.818655/-74.535638/pines2023/0.00/0.00

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Here's one final map that you may find useful. I went to the USGS Historical Topo Map collection and downloaded the oldest available 24k quads covering Wharton State Forest. The image below shows the dates of each quad, which range from 1951 to 1956. So you can see what the USGS considered a "road" about sixty years ago.

Took a little more effort than expected, but it wasn't bad. After downloading each quad, I removed the collar (printed info around the edges of the map) and reprojected them in Geographic/WGS84 format. But the colors were very strange, the forest was bright yellow on many of them for some reason. So I tweaked the color by importing/exporting to Photoshop. I then combined all the quads into a seamless map, cropped it to the Wharton boundaries and exported at the resolution of 10 feet per pixel.

This is a .kmz file that contains indexed color TIFF images. It should work in Google Earth, but I don't use that program so I didn't check it. Like the other downloads, you will get a zipped folder; right click and Extract All for a Windows computer. On a Mac, just double-click the file. You will find the .kmz file inside the folder along with the index map shown below.

Here's the download link: [bad link removed]

topo_dates.png

This map was discontinued long ago, however you can access the classic USGS topo maps here and use them on either your phone or computer

https://boydsmaps.com/#15.00/39.818655/-74.535638/legacy24k/0.00/0.00

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thank again Boyd. That will come in handy also. Looking it over on Google Earth I see there was a building of some sort on top of the stone hill on Carranza road at the curve.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Amazing! You LIDAR maps already occupied a home in my Google Earth My Places, but now you have an entire folder dedicated to your stuff "Boyd's Maps" :) Thanks!!!

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
With five foot contours some islands are sure to show that only showed on aerials before.

Was thinking about this and decided to revisit the idea of using LIDAR for contour lines. It didn't look good in Garmin's map format, but works nicely for a high resolution raster image.

So here's a completely new map of Wharton and the surrounding areas. Coverage is greater than the previous map. I used the NED 1/9 arc second LIDAR to generate 5 foot contours and also shaded terrain. Resolution is 6 feet per pixel.

Also spent quite a bit of time neatening things up, the last version had lots of overlapping labels and features. And the indexed-color TIFF images in this .kmz file look much cleaner than the JPEGs in the earlier map.

LIDAR meets TOPO. Al, if this doesn't show your "islands", I don't know what will. :D

All the additional detail and expanded coverage results in a much larger file, about 260MB. You can download it here:

[Sorry, map no longer available - bad link removed]

Here are a couple screenshots at full resolution. Enjoy!

wading.jpg

springhill.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: smoke_jumper

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Hey in that middle picture you can clearly see the sledding hills that I take my kids too. :). Without the contour shading they are usually pretty much invisible.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Boyd, your latest revision is called adding to excellence. The contour lines and shaded terrain makes things stand out nicely. Like the color system also.
Don

Reactions: Boyd