Boyd's Map of the Pines beta available

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
46er: Actually I was addressing Nascar's question.... There is really no reason to get the DVD (not CD... the maps are much too big for that) unless you just don't like downloading.

I always like to have my own b/u copy of things if at all possible. I did the same with getting a copy of XP from Dell, as they did not include a copy. Old habit I guess.

I turned the NUVI on this morning and a message came up telling me about an update available for downloading. I don't ever recall seeing that, but I don't pay that much attention.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That might be a firmware update instead of a map update. Word to the wise... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Garmin does not have the best track record with software updates. Specifically, a recent update for the 700 series created lots of problems. I suggest that you check the discussions here before installing any new firmware: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewforum.php?f=2

For backup... it's a good idea to plug the Nuvi into your computer and mount it as a disk, then copy all of its contents to a folder on your PC. That might make life much easier down the road if you have a problem. It will take about 2gb of storage space though, and will take a long time because of the slow USB 1 interface.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
That might be a firmware update instead of a map update. Word to the wise... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Garmin does not have the best track record with software updates. Specifically, a recent update for the 700 series created lots of problems. I suggest that you check the discussions here before installing any new firmware: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewforum.php?f=2

For backup... it's a good idea to plug the Nuvi into your computer and mount it as a disk, then copy all of its contents to a folder on your PC. That might make life much easier down the road if you have a problem. It will take about 2gb of storage space though, and will take a long time because of the slow USB 1 interface.

Thats what is was, firmware. As with my cameras. it will sit a while.

Thanks for the backup tip, its on the 'to do' list. I just bought a terrabyte :dance: Pictures take a lot of space, and as I'm finding out so does GPS stuff.

Question for you; have you ever worked with Google Earth and its layers, KML format files?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Have played a bit with it. But of course, KML is not the map itself, but things like tracks and waypoints I believe. What are you trying to do?

I have two milk crates full of external firewire drives here at home, maybe 10 terrabytes? Digital video eats up a LOT of storage space :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I spend time each year in Yellowstone and there are many roadside spots that have been given informal names as a means of identification. I was thinking of putting a 'layer' together over the park map with them identified. There is another site I fequent that is similar to this site that is Yellowstone oriented and folks there have a hodge-podge of various maps thathave been put together over the years. Having them all in one place would be nice. A sample of one such map below that the wolf watchers use.

lamar.jpg

Found an easy solution using Place Marks. They can be emailed to whomever wants a copy of the file. A sample below.

3196116769_8bf59aa2ac_o.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
The newest version of the map - the LC (Land Cover) edition - is now ready for download. This map is a much larger download - about 100MB zipped and the map itself is about 185MB when you uncompress it.

The older versions will remain online as each one has its own purpose. This version has a more photographic look which reveals more about the landscape. It has been tested on the GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 205, Nuvi 5000 and Oregon and works fine on all of them. I suspect it will work on any Garmin unit which has a USB disk mode where you can access the GPS like a disk drive. This is the only installation method recommended for the LC map, and you will need to have at least 200MB of free space on either internal GPS memory or a data card.

The download includes a ReadMe file with more information. Testing today I did discover one glitch where a section of the map near Weymouth was missing detail until you actually entered that area or moved the arrow pointer into it. Will have to investigate that further. Let me know if you find other problems.... this should still be considered beta software.

This version is also the first to include a "night mode" for those GPS'es which support that feature. It isn't as pretty as I would like, but it's a start :) You may download from the following link - it may take a little while due to the file size. I hope it enhances your travels - let me know how it works for you.

Click on the link below, save the file to your hard drive, extract the files, then follow the included directions:

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/boydsmapsofthepines/PinesMap-LC.zip`

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd,

My chip does not have enough free space. I have already deleted the other maps so I have to reinstall the previous on.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd,

I must have a 120MB card so I will never be able to use the maps unless you can remove some of the non Pine Barrens areas to make it smaller.

EDIT: it is 128MB

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
1GB micro SD cards are $11 at Best Buy, $5 and less at Amazon.... 2GB for under $10 at WalMart (everybody's favorite! :dance:).

Seriously, you can probably find a 256MB or 512MB card for next to nothing if you look around. My maps are only going to get larger as time goes by. But if you really can't get more memory, send me a PM.

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Thanks again for the update Boyd. Your hard work and willingness to share this dataset with the group is certainly appreciated. As I mentioned before, I own an Etrex Legend C which only has 24MB of internal memory. At first I thought I wouldn’t even attempt to load the map on… however after scanning around the individual files I was able to find a few grid configurations in which it will actually fit on my unit! The groundcover shading works so well that I’m able to see the clearing which surrounds my house. Very cool.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Wow - I'm impressed that it works at all on the Legend C. Nice job - how did you separate the tiles you wanted? Did you use Sendmap20? I have not tried with this one, and was not sure if the custom fills would be compatible. Do you see terrain shading similar to these? If so, please post what you did as that should help Guy get up and running without buying another data card.

Heh, my yard also "makes the map" :)

60.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
1GB micro SD cards are $11 at Best Buy, $5 and less at Amazon.... 2GB for under $10 at WalMart (everybody's favorite! :dance:).

Seriously, you can probably find a 256MB or 512MB card for next to nothing if you look around. My maps are only going to get larger as time goes by. But if you really can't get more memory, send me a PM.

Actually, I did not even think about getting a larger one. I never thought I would ever fill it up.

Guy

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Wow - I'm impressed that it works at all on the Legend C. Nice job - how did you separate the tiles you wanted? Did you use Sendmap20? I have not tried with this one, and was not sure if the custom fills would be compatible. Do you see terrain shading similar to these? If so, please post what you did as that should help Guy get up and running without buying another data card.

Heh, my yard also "makes the map" :)

60.jpg

Boyd,

I was surprised as well... and actually, since they're "smaller" maps it seems to update faster than the update before this one, and the original release. I did in fact use Sendmap20, it's a great little program as there’s no way to put the Legend C into mass storage mode. As for how I found the grid I wanted, it was mostly by trial and error. I started by deleting all the files in the upload screen until I saw it'd fit (including the type files) and tried it out. The first several give you the Cape May area, so I worked from there- eventually finding my area (making a note of the hex code under "internal"). The tile sizes do vary greatly from one area to the next so my method may not work in all areas if you don't have a lot of space (areas in Wharton State Forest seem to be very large, while I was able to upload a 20 or so mile swath in Salem and Cumberland counties.). Once it's in though, it works great... and looks exactly like your screenshots above. I imagine depending on the size of Guys capacity he may be able to load a large chunk of Wharton forest in. It’s just a matter of finding the right files. Thanks again!

BillyB514

Aug 6, 2007
Thank you

Boyd,
I am not on here to much but thank you ! these are awesome maps of NJ. I put the overlay map on my colorado and it is beautiful on there!

BillyB

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Glad you like it, and also glad to see we have a member with a Colorado. I have tested the maps with my Oregon, but never on the Colorado.

Enjoy!

BillyB514

Aug 6, 2007
Yep! loads map image a little slow out past 2mi zoom [With map detail on "more"] but well worth it, I am not complaining! :) I will be putting it/them to good use in the following year.
Thanks again!
BB
:)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Yes, the LC edition of the map is pretty much tuned to look and work best at zoom levels of 0.3 miles and closer. But I need to hone my mapmaking skills a bit, because there are ways to force certain details to become simplified as you zoom out, but this is a feature I haven't had time to explore in depth yet.

BillyB514

Aug 6, 2007
Ohh, ok I only look at the zoom that far out when looking at geocaches in an area. I use the Colorado for hiking, fishing, 4x4 and geocaching. The GPSr is with me everywhere I go! These maps are the best so far for NJ. There is nothing like it out there well not for FREE at least. Sounds good, Hay if you need any more feedback on anything in particular let me know. Especially with the Colorado as far as your maps go. I would love to be of any help to you that I can. You must have spent hours so far!

:)
BB