Picnic

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Sorry I didn't get back to you Ben. I was in Maryland with no computer access. I did go to the library to get online, but decided that the book on how to care for and keep pot-bellied pigs was more interesting.

Anyway, I did not remember that was your date for the Allaire trip, so I hereby cancel the picnic until further notice. Its no sweat, I am really stressed out from my trip anyway.

Perhaps closer to Labor day. We'll see.

Justin, I was leaning toward my deck. Like I said, I do have a big above ground pool. A secluded spot is tough because of no tables, grill, bath facilities, etc.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
No problem. I know Allaire is a hike for most of the people on the site so I figured that most people would not go.

In fact, I don't know if anybody but myself is going, in which case I'll likely not go myself! :)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You know, I've always wanted to see the furnace there. I'll come if you still want to go. I can't say I'll stay all day, though, depending on the heat forecast. I think 9 is a good time to start up there this time of year.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
What is the state of our State?

I am really disappointed. Today I drove to Pakim Pond to check out the picnic area. The tables were extremely weathered and the beach was closed for good. There has been nobody swimming there for awhile. It has really deteriorated. There are no ropes anymore, they have let weeds grow all over the beach, and the water has that black nasty look it sometimes gets from inactivity and no clean sand. Take a look:

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10011&pos=0

Wait, there's more. A guy and his son were camping there, and the boy was looking wistfully out at the water, like, gee what happened here? And a couple had their two dogs on a leash and had let them walk into the water a few feet to cool off. No big deal, right? All of a sudden a forest cop in a sedan used his bullhorn and yelled at them from the air conditioned comfort of his seat at the parking lot; "Get the dogs out of the water and off the beach"! I was shocked and dejected. Whatever happened to a nice family picnic and swim at the pond? Especially for those who don't have a pool.

I went to the office and asked the woman behind the counter just what the hell happened? She said, "I don't really know, but I heard they won't pay for the lifeguards." I said, what do you mean you don't really know. She said, "I don't know, I am just visitor services". Don't get me wrong, she was a nice enough lady, but damn, what the hell is this state coming too...!

Here's another one. I then drove down to Hawkins Bridge, campsite 36 is right on the river where the rope swing is across from Wading Pines campground. I arrived at the campsite the same time as a forest cop in a jeep. We both walked down to the creek, he never said a word to me. At the creek 2 adults and 4 kids were swimming. One kid about 11 years old had his hand on the rope swing and was about to take off. The cop says to the kid;

"Uh, no. Nope. You just drop that rope right now".

The kid did. And then, unbelievably, the cop turned on his heel and walked back to his car without a word. I watched him go with my mouth hung open in bewilderment. What the hell does he care if the kid wants to swing on the rope? That rope has been there for years.

We should take back our parks and demand they be more user friendly and maintained. I am really disappointed by the whole thing. I went on down to Lake Absegami and it was so full they closed it to more cars.

That really does stink. One of the reasons I'm going camping in the Adironacks in August.
But what I really want to know is whats so bad about this? :
normal_yellow%20iris2.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

I took the liberty to fix your link. You somehow are using the random links it appears.

There is a problem with the way the public who "legally" use the pine are treated. How to correct that problem is a problem.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We have over 629 reads of this post, and about 4 or 5 people have committed to wanting to attend. Many people must be interested, but just not saying so. Am I wrong?

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
Bob,

I took the liberty to fix your link. You somehow are using the random links it appears.

There is a problem with the way the public who "legally" use the pine are treated. How to correct that problem is a problem.

Guy

Funny, this time I sorted the album by date, went to this photo in the album, which was the last one, and used it. And, I tried the link in the post and it did work. Oh well.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
Funny, this time I sorted the album by date, went to this photo in the album, which was the last one, and used it. And, I tried the link in the post and it did work. Oh well.

Did you then add the photo with you in "no mans land"? If so that caused the problem.

Try this the next time. Make sure you see everyone's gallery listed, then click on yours and go to the "Latest Additions" and that should solve the problem.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Maybe we should write some letters to the park service and let them know how obnoxious the rangers are now.

Nothing will change by complaining on a message board. But if enough people write letters, you may see a change in attitude.

I'll try to see who the head ranger is at Batsto. Or Guy may know...?

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
TeeGate said:
We have over 629 reads of this post, and about 4 or 5 people have committed to wanting to attend. Many people must be interested, but just not saying so. Am I wrong?

Guy

I wonder, Guy, how many folks, like myself, live out-of-state and sufficiently far as not to be able to make it, even though we'd certainly like to. I was actually thinking about moving up an anticipated trip east up by a couple of months to be able to get to the picnic, but the logistics and calendric constraints of a number of other things I must accomplish on the trip got in the way.

Envying those of you who can get to the picnic in the pines (from distant South Dakota),

Dave

TeeGate said:
Did you then add the photo with you in "no mans land"? If so that caused the problem.

Try this the next time. Make sure you see everyone's gallery listed, then click on yours and go to the "Latest Additions" and that should solve the problem.

Guy
But won't they change as photos are added? I think you need to go right into the album the photo is in and not use the Random or Most Recent.

Steve

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Stop the Insanity

I'll contribute to any letter writing/ and or other plans to try to make Wharton and Byrne Forests enjoyable. Bob you mentioned Lake Absegami was packed solid and whenever I look at Atsion Lake it is usually so crowded its uncomfortable (on the weekends). The State has all this great land with tons of possible Recreation spots to alleviate crowds and spread out everyone and for some idiotic reason they not even trying. Maybe we should write a letter to Cody. Its worth a try.

The river I spend the most time at is the Wading. Although its the most crowded and noisy, its the easiest place for most folks I know to get to and they are comfortable going there. Its unfortuneatly also where the most negative experiences usually happen. My family have been swinging on rope swings and jumping off Wharton Bank(only when there is high water except for a few kooks in my family who jump in 3 inches of water) for 25 years, in addition to jumping off some of the bridges(after having someone check the bottom).
I can probably expect to be hassled for trying to do these activities.
Question- Is it legal to swim in the Wading River?
I've never had a problem with this before.
I am interested in the picnic.
Tom

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
But won't they change as photos are added? I think you need to go right into the album the photo is in and not use the Random or Most Recent.

Steve

Yes my info was incorrect. I just uploaded a file, copied the URL, and then uploaded another one and the URL changed.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
long-a-coming said:
I'll contribute to any letter writing/ and or other plans to try to make Wharton and Byrne Forests enjoyable. Bob you mentioned Lake Absegami was packed solid and whenever I look at Atsion Lake it is usually so crowded its uncomfortable (on the weekends). The State has all this great land with tons of possible Recreation spots to alleviate crowds and spread out everyone and for some idiotic reason they not even trying. Maybe we should write a letter to Cody. Its worth a try.

The river I spend the most time at is the Wading. Although its the most crowded and noisy, its the easiest place for most folks I know to get to and they are comfortable going there. Its unfortuneatly also where the most negative experiences usually happen. My family have been swinging on rope swings and jumping off Wharton Bank(only when there is high water except for a few kooks in my family who jump in 3 inches of water) for 25 years, in addition to jumping off some of the bridges(after having someone check the bottom). I can probably expect to be hassled for trying to do these activities.Question- Is it legal to swim in the Wading River? I've never had a problem with this before. I am interested in the picnic.
Tom

Tom, I think I was wrong about Lake Absegami yesterday. I heard on the radio today a 4 year old died in the lake. A tragedy that probably caused them to close the park briefly. I think it is indeed legal to swim in the Wading because they let tubers and canoes thru, and he did not tell the kid to get out. Speaking of the Wading, did you notice how black the water is lately? There, the Mulica, and the Batsto are all darker than they used to be in my opinion. None of them are the famously touted "tea-colored". Its more like black coffee. What gives with that?

When I was young we used to dive off the highway bridge at Presidential Lakes. Today, nobody does things like that.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You are really making a nice effort to get this going! That was quite a drive if you did it in one day. I just hope we all can make it.

I bet they stop everyone from using the rope swing, or jumping off the highway bridge, because of possible lawsuits against the state.

Guy