Industries in the Pines - Ghost Towns

A friend and I did a guided bus trip a few Sundays ago exploring some of the abandoned industrial sites in the area. I've read Barbara Solem's Ghost Towns book and many of these sites are described in it. Very cool to see them in person. We visited Deep Run Cranberry Bog, Atsion Village, Hampton Furnace, Friendship, Harrisville and drove up past Batsto. There's some fascinating history in this area.

This is a photo I took of the Harrisville ruins, and I also wrote more about our day here and posted more photos: https://beachandbarrens.wordpress.com/2021/10/18/bending-with-the-seasons-industries-in-the-pines/.

1200_B&B_Industries21_Harrisville_1186.jpeg

Reactions: John and Pan
I see you met Jeff Larson. He is a great explorer and many of us in PBX have traveled with him on our adventures.

Yes, I have! Like with my friend Barbara Solem, I met him on one of his tours. He's a nice guy and has a wealth of knowledge about the area. Barbara told me that he frequently helped her when she did her Ghost Towns tours. Barbara decided not to do her bus tours any longer so she gave Jeff her notes and material. Hopefully, he can use it for his own programs. I know he also does the Ghosts of the Wading River presentation for the Pinelands Short Course.

What is PBX, by the way? I've seen it mentioned a few times on the forum but not sure what it is exactly. A secret hiking club? :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
What is PBX, by the way? I've seen it mentioned a few times on the forum but not sure what it is exactly. A secret hiking club? :)

Reactions: BeachandBarrens

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Nothing secret about it. We have been fully transparent. I can tell you for a fact nobody has done what PBX has done. Enjoy!

Nothing secret about it. We have been fully transparent. I can tell you for a fact nobody has done what PBX has done. Enjoy!

Miss these hikes and the after parties, as well as catching up with everyone.

Reactions: BeachandBarrens

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That's a hell of a list Guy. Interesting how you pulled that up.
When I posted the threads I named them all "A PBX Hike" so I just did a search for that in the tread titles that were posted by me and they came up. However, some may be missing because you started the thread and most likely did not name them "A PBX Hike." I will try to remember tonight to search out more of them. I am sure more are there.

Reactions: MuckSavage and Boyd